Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy Stuck in AWD Help!

Hey Guys,

I know the AWD is supposed to Kick in when I need it,

But this thing is in 4 Wheel Drive Hard . Tires squawk (and jumpy) in tight slow turn. Drive train is being stressed

out. lots of tension released when you stop and put it in neutral. Is there a fuse or switch or something that goes bad to cause this or is it a tranny thing? Clutches or what not. Anyone had this happen before that knows how to fix it?

Thanks,

P

Do some searching and reading on "torque bind", sounds like that may be what you're experiencing.

Steve

Found an article on Torque Bind.

There were two Scenerios.

One was rear differential and caused Shuddering.

The other was the mid diferential for the front drive and

Symtoms are what I have. It's called Clutch pack Bind.

UHH! That's not a fuse. I wanted a fuse! Some electronic

Gizmo. Not crawling around under the car!

Oh Well...

Thanks for the term (Torque Bind) Steve. Sure helped make my search a lot easier..

P

SIgh ...

How many miles are on this car.

Ok here we go. First do all the tires match. Secondly how long has the car been doing this. Next when was ther last time the tranny fluid has been changed.

A bad/stuck duty C solenoid will throw a code. Put the fuse in the FWD fuse holder and tell us what happens.

Also since this is pre 1997 1/2 it is very possible that the AWD unit is wiped out and needs to be replaced. Everyone seems to forget that the AWD unit is more then just the solenoid. Its also a spool valve and seals. Pre 1997 1/2 the seals go bad, the aluminum internal housing can wear away causing TB. Also if he has been driving like this for a while odds are the damage is done.

nipper

The last time this happened to me I took it to a tranny show and had them disassemble the rear of the trans where the clutch pack is. They cleaned it and blew out all the ports/etc. and reassembled with a filter/fluid change. It fixed the situation and didn't cost too much. Next car that does it I will do myself, but worth a try if you already made sure you have the same size tires (even a newer tire on one or more wheel will cause problems).