Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Forester Speedo... went all the way around...

So, my buddy's 99 forester, fried an alternator a while back, i helped him replace that, no big deal. The problem is, when the alternator was going, his speedo went all the way around, past 120, etc.. and pegged itself back to 0. So now whenever he drives around it is stuck at 0, because of the peg above it (where it usually sits on top of the peg).

His mechanic said he needs a $200 part... i'm thinking that's a little much... can't we just undo the speedo cable, open up the dash, set the speedo back to zero (bring the needle around the face again) and plug the cable back in?

Any ideas?

er um....

So....

Just remoove the instrment panel, take off the plastic cover (its held on in little tabs). GENTLY remove the pin, reset the needle, reinstall the pin (it pops in and out easily).

Plan B get a used spedo head and rebuild the cluster. Cluster comes out in about 15 minutes. Worse case scenario is that the board is fried, go to ebay or junkyard and pick one up for 40.00

nipper

(and im ashamed that you didnt think of this tsktsktsk) and there is no cable, man you get a newer soobie and you forget all this stuff.

(and im ashamed that you didnt think of this tsktsktsk) and there is no cable, man you get a newer soobie and you forget all this stuff.

Nipster, i've never taken apart the cluster in my OBS before :-p and i think i have a cable, coming from the tranny... or my haynes manual says i do!! :confused:

and yeah... the new roo is spoiling me.. i don't have to rip it apart every week and fix something new that's broken.... :brow:

Nipster, i've never taken apart the cluster in my OBS before :-p and i think i have a cable, coming from the tranny... or my haynes manual says i do!! :confused:

and yeah... the new roo is spoiling me.. i don't have to rip it apart every week and fix something new that's broken.... :brow:

Subarus stopped using cables in 1995-1996.

nipper

and yes your spoiled :-p

Subarus stopped using cables in 1995-1996.

nipper

and yes your spoiled :-p

That would explain it, because i have the haynes manual from a 96 Legacy ;)

and it's nice that i've only opened the hood 3 times so far... twice to ooo & aww at it.... once to put in a better battery ;)

Ok.. so to pop off the clear plate, i'm taking it there's 4ish tabs? so just pull the sucker out?

Going by my outback

4 screws once you get the plastic surround off (four screws on that too)

5 wire looms (one in the middle of the cluster)

Carefully manover the cluster out (steeringwheel all the way down)

i dont remember if it is 4 or 6 tabs The plastic isnt brittle so it wont break easily.

nipper

yeah, but just wait until you do need to work on it in 50k 0r 60k miles. you'll be so out of practice you'll have to go online to one of thoses car forums and ask for help.

i'm envious!!:grin: