Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So then what is the largest tire you can stuff in there in a stock 14" wheel?

I have a line on a set of 205/75/14 brand new for $125 + mounting and balance.

that tire is 3/4" wider and 5/8" taller than 185/75/14. go borrow an out back wheel & tire (205/75/15) and see if it clears. if so you'll have at least a 1/2" clearence. if not ..... i don't know.

you might try looking at cars101.com to see if any 90-94 legs had larger tires/wheels.

as far as fitting on the wheel goes, i know FWD XT6's come with 195's, AWD comes with 205's and i've had 215's. might affect handling a bit, like rolling or understeer having the wheels that much wider than the rims.

i've been told that you shouldn't go over one size larger or smaller on that first number over stock. in other words if stock was 195, then 185 should be the lower limit and 205 the upper. but i've broke it before, like in the example above.

that miata sites is nice for comparing actual tire widths and dimaters.

I have 205/55-16s, which are wider and taller than the stock 185/70-14s. They aren't as tall as a 205/75-14 though. With stock suspension I was very close to both the spring perch and fender but didn't rub (like I couldn't fit a finger through the gaps). With my STi struts and more negative camber I have more room on each end and I'm pretty sure I could fit a 225/50-16 with rolled fenders.