Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone, haven't been around much, the legacy has been doing good. It just hit 70K (on a 95) and is running great. Just got some new tires and NGK V-powers, and have been running Mobil 1 in it.

I have discovered an oil leak under the front crank pulley. I took some pictures of it, if someone could give me a good guess of what it could be it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

post-18329-136027619404_thumb.jpg

post-18329-136027619412_thumb.jpg

post-18329-136027619417_thumb.jpg

post-18329-136027619423_thumb.jpg

The oil is coming through two angled drains provided at the bottom of the center timing cover. For a 1995 engine, the most likely cause is hardened cam and crank seals, but it's also recommended to remove and reseal the oil pump, making sure the screws on its back cover are tight. The timing belt is due anyway, if it hasn't been replaced, although the belt itself is most likely in a good shape.

All of this is has been covered in multiple threads. On the second thought, maybe the engine is weeping because a Fram filter was put on.

AT 70k on a 1995 it is time for rubber change. Timing belts dont last for ever. You need to do a timing belt change(they do have a calander spec too), since the seals are drying out.

You need:

cam seals

main seal

oil pump seal

timing belt

water pump.

Inspect the idler, since they should be ok.

nipper

I'm ordering Felpro Crank seal, cams seals, a goodyear timing belt, and a timing cover seal.

Where do I get an oil pump seal? I cant find one. Anything else I need? I'm not doing the water pump yet. I'm ordering from advance auto parts.

Thanks

not doing the waterpump is a mistake. Do it all at once and be done with it. Remeber there is a seal in the waterpump too. Do it all and not have to go back in there for another 9 years.

nipper

The oil pump uses an O-ring on the output side and it's best to buy it from a dealer. The part number is different for newer engines even though the pump is the same. Make sure you have a manual on hand or at least go through past threads about timing belts and seals. I also have a '95 model with low mileage and changed the t-belt for the first time this past summer. One of the hardest things was that the crank pulley rusted to the crank, even though the bolt came out easily.

Do Not Use Aftermarket Parts. Aftermarket Timing Belts Are A Half Tooth To Long. I Made The Mistake. You Will Get Numerous Cylinder Misfire Codes. I Put A Oem One On And Now Feel Like I Am Driving A New Car. Also All The Aftermarket Seals I Put In Leaked. Thats Why I Was In There And And Replaced The Tb

Jake

I get the sarcasm, I've heard the FRAM horror stories, but I haven't had any problems.

Thanks for all your help, looks like the subie is gonna get some TLC this week.

Wix (Napa, Carquest) & Purolator (Motorcraft + other lookalike brands) = GOOD

Champ (STP, AC, + other lookalike brands) = CHEAP

FRAM (Pennzoil + other lookalike brands) = NOT CHEAP & NO GOOD

Recommended filters = ABF (Anything But Fram)