Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82 IDLE Problems

Hi Everyone,

So winter is here again and I'm scratching my head about high idle problems that I never fixed last year.

I'm driving my 88 SPFI wagon D/R 5 speed and the idle acts totally differently than my last 88 SPFI wagon.

In my last car, I'd turn the key and the idle would jump right up to about about 1500 RPM when cold. The car would idle around 1500 until the car warmed up then it would drop to about 800RPM. If I were to touch the gas pedal while idling high, the idle would drop to normal. (800ish)

In the new car, when I start the card cold, the car will stall without any pedal. With a little coaxing, the car will maintain 800ish RPM and after some time, the idle will climb into 2000RPM range. After the car has warmed up a bit, the idle will not drop. Sometimes I see it running at 3000RPM. Too High!

Although, when I start the car hot, the idle is fine.

So, I've gone though most of the tests. Coolant temp, Idle control valve, ECU and more have been swapped. The problem has been ongoing since I've owned the car(2 yrs), CEL light just came on and I'm getting a 42 on the D-code. I'm stumped:confused:

I've done much reading on here about EA 82 SPFI idle problems and have explored most of the mentioned solutions. One thing I have not looked at is grounding.

Does anyone recognize these symptoms? I'm sure there's a guru out there that has my answer. :headbang:

Sorry for the long winded story.

Thanks. I always appreciate all your help!

Marko

Verify the operation of the IAC, and CLEAN it so it moves smoothly. Your symptoms are totally classic for IAC failure. Also verify the operation of the CTS.

Code 42 indicates the TPS is shot or out of adjustment - you need to either adjust the TPS so the idle switch is working, or get another one. Something is definately wrong with the idle switch in it tho.

GD

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I will soak the extra IAC in brake cleaner overnight. I have cleaned it with brake cleaner and tested it's operation (good hard click!) but maybe I've missed something.

As for the CTS............... ummm, what's a CTS? lol!

I guess I did overlook the TPS so maybe a test on it will reveal a problem.

What about this idle switch? Is it a componant of the TPS? I'm sure I don't know as much about the SPFI as I think I do.

Thanks again for all the help

Cheers!

CTS is the coolant temp sensor. It's on the front left of the thermostat housing.

I remove the solenoid and soak the IAC in carb cleaner overnight - works very nicely and looks new again.

Sounds like the TPS is the major problem though - the idle switch isn't reporting to the ECU that your throttle is closed.

The

I had the same problems on an 88 3 door. It appeared to be a IAC problem. It would work one day and not the next. I finally found the problem to be a bad harness. It was shorting in the wire before the plug on the IAC harness. Looked like the plugs had been swinging around for some time and finally wore through. The harness was pretty easy to replace. Found one in a jy. It has plugs at both ends and is pretty short. I'd say your tps switch is causing your problem, but watch out for that short problem.