Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need a little info about 1982 E82 motor

Hi guys new guy here with a question about a motor I have. I'm building a Trike and I'm going to adapt this motor to a VW full automatic trans and I have a question regarding the Distributer. It a pointless dist. the motor is carburate. One person I have talked with thinks I'll need something called an

(ecm module). I'm not much of a mechcanic and have no clue what this ecm thing is or what it does. I have converted VW points over to electronic before and didn't need anything else. What can you guys tell me about thisw situation. Will I need to pick up a Dist with points or is there a way to use this one?

Thanks, I await your answers.

Bob:banana:

If it's an EA82, with a pointless distributor, then it's waaaaay newer than 1982.

If you're sure it's a 1982 engine, then it's not an EA82.

Anyway, the ECM is the computer that runs the engine. It helps operate the distributor, controls the emissions stuff on the carb, and other stuff. No, the engine will not run without it.

So, if you want to use this particular engine, you'll have to find a way to mount it in your buggy, where it will not be exposed to shock (bouncing around) or water.

Go into the VW/Subaru swap forums, there will be better information there.

The 1982 EA81 engine (OHV/pushrod engine as opposed to the OHC EA82) should have a pointless distributor that does not require and ECM/ECU. I am not sure if its amp/control circuitry is intergral with the disty or in a separate box, but should be pretty simple to find and install. You will also need the ignitor and coil which should be mounted together on the coil bracket. (Again, not sure if the EA81s used a seperate "ignitor" (power transistor) or if it was integral with the other electronics.)

BTW if the distributor is on the front of the engine, it is an EA81. If the distributor is on the engine's left cam case then it is an EA82.

Welcome Bob

I'm also interested in building a trike but will use the subie trans.

As stated by others the ea82 is newer than 1982. As far as I know 1985 was the first year for them.

Pic's would be very helpfull.

Keep up updated on your trike progress.

I recently aquired an ea82 (91 Loyale) FWD Auto sedan. Using the motor in another project to avoid doing head gaskets this winter. But plan on doing them next summer and use that motor with the auto trans. Have a KZ1300 frame and front end to graft on.

There is also another member in the process of building a trike this winter but he seldom visits the board here.

Again welcome, Stumpy

Well The year, I'm not 100% sure about that. Its been about 4 years since I bought this motor and I was thinking the guy at the Jyard told me early 80's, but I could be wrong. But no douubt its a E82 Carburated. You guys can look at a few pics I posted in the photo section.

I have no need for the smog stuff as a Trike does not require smog, but I'm sure I'll need to hook up some of it just to make things work, but I don't want anything there there isn't needed to run the motor.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll probably need to pick up a different Dist.

Bob:confused:

If it's an EA82, with a pointless distributor, then it's waaaaay newer than 1982.

If you're sure it's a 1982 engine, then it's not an EA82.

Anyway, the ECM is the computer that runs the engine. It helps operate the distributor, controls the emissions stuff on the carb, and other stuff. No, the engine will not run without it.

So, if you want to use this particular engine, you'll have to find a way to mount it in your buggy, where it will not be exposed to shock (bouncing around) or water.

Go into the VW/Subaru swap forums, there will be better information there.

Depends on the carb - some were computer controlled (refered to as "feedback"), and some were not. If you get the model number off the carb, we might be able to tell you.

Your engine is an 85 to 87 BTW. Those are the only years for carbed EA82's in the US.

Best thing to do is just get a Weber DGV for it. Then you can just rip everything you don't want off.

Or you could convert to SPFI - my write up on that is here:

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/EA81_SPFI.html

The process is simpler for the EA82 since no modification of the distributor is required.

GD

Picture definitely makes it an EA82 which has OHCs.

The distributor should work without the ECM. You just need the ignitor and coil (all on the same bracket) as was said early.

If the carb is a feedback carb (from CA), it will require the ECM to run. You could throw on a non-feedback hitachi, or just throw a weber onto it.

Like I stated, I'm not 100% sure about some of the info I'm giving here, but I seem to recal that this motor is a pushrod type OHV model. But I know for sure its an EA82 I just went and checked the motor to be sure. The Dist just has 2 wires coming off it if that helps any. I'll post a couple photos of the motor in the photo section and maybe one of you guys will be able to tell me for sure what I have here. The serial number if this helps is (044605). I'd like to know more certain about if this will work as it is ok. I do still need to get the coil for it as that piece was missing when I bought the motor. So I guess I need coil and ignitor?

Thanks.

Bob

The 1982 EA81 engine (OHV/pushrod engine as opposed to the OHC EA82) should have a pointless distributor that does not require and ECM/ECU. I am not sure if its amp/control circuitry is intergral with the disty or in a separate box, but should be pretty simple to find and install. You will also need the ignitor and coil which should be mounted together on the coil bracket. (Again, not sure if the EA81s used a seperate "ignitor" (power transistor) or if it was integral with the other electronics.)

BTW if the distributor is on the front of the engine, it is an EA81. If the distributor is on the engine's left cam case then it is an EA82.

Hi Stumpy,

I've seen you an the BTW forum. You can check out my progress on my web site. I've posted several pics of my Subie project there. Right now I'm just waiting for the Adapter plate to be shipped. The Trike is finished otherwise. I started wiring yesterday and once I can mount the motor, I can get my radiators plumbed and work on getting the motor running. There is much I don't understand about this motor with all the little vacuum lines and crap all over it. But I'll either figure it out or pay someone to get it running for me. One way or the other, it'll be on the road by Spring or it'll be at the bottom of the lake...Well no not that, if worse came to worse, I'd just put a VW motor on it and ride.

I preferred to mount this to a VW Auto rather than use the Subie Auto. I don't like mid engine Trikes at all. I had one once and it was the biggest pain in the butt to work on, plus I don't like sitting over the motor. I like the motor behind me where all the heat is in back and I really like the ease of getting to it for regular maintenance.

Have you ever considered building a Leading Link front end rather than using a Motorcycle front end. You will get much better handling from a LL type. I really hate to see so many guys still using stock Motorcycle front ends on their projects. Its so easy to build a Leading Link and you can use just about everything off the stock front end to hold down the cost. But for the extra spent is well worth the better performance. But its your project.

Thanks for your reply. My web Site:

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion/trikerbob60/index.html

Bob

Welcome Bob

I'm also interested in building a trike but will use the subie trans.

As stated by others the ea82 is newer than 1982. As far as I know 1985 was the first year for them.

Pic's would be very helpfull.

Keep up updated on your trike progress.

I recently aquired an ea82 (91 Loyale) FWD Auto sedan. Using the motor in another project to avoid doing head gaskets this winter. But plan on doing them next summer and use that motor with the auto trans. Have a KZ1300 frame and front end to graft on.

There is also another member in the process of building a trike this winter but he seldom visits the board here.

Again welcome, Stumpy

Checked out your web site, interesting stuff.

Looking at the stock bike setup as I have one but the LL setup looks like a fairly easy route. Will have to consider my options if I ever get that far.

Kennedy's adapter plates are spendy but good quality from what I understand.

Working on a low budget here!!

As others have stated, your motor is defiantly an ea82 series.

Slight HighJack here::GD or mikeshoup, can the feed back carb set up be ran without the ecm or is a must have item. Fellow member in the NE (Prince Edward Island) is doing one with this setup and I'm looking for info to help him out.

Thanks, Stumpy

Good Morning, Ok I'm getting closer to finding out just what I have here. So I guess there are no push rods since there is a timeing belt thats pretty obvious. You can tell I don't know much about the mechaninal aspects of motors. You could have told me it has push rods too and I wouldn't have known the difference. Anyway, I've looked real close at the carb and I can't see any numbers on it anywhere. There is so much crap on it, its hard to see anything. But I took some close up photos of the carb and will post them in the photo section. Maybe you can tell me by looking at that if I can use this carb or if I'll have to get something else. If I do need a different carb, it would be good if any of you can tell me exactually what carb I should be looking for.

Thanks for all your help.

Bob:headbang:

We know exactly what you have - it's only left to determine if it's feedback or not. Can't tell that from the serial - need the carb model number on the float bowl.

It's an overhead cam engine - timing belts. No pushrods.

GD

Thanks Stumpy for checking out my site. Building the Leading Link front end is very easy. Just need to take care that every thing matches on both sides and welded up right. But in the end, the handling is so much better. You simply can't setup a stock front end to work very well on a Trike. Most guys want a little rake to the front end to look better, and the more rake you get the better it will handle, but the big downside to raking a stock front end, is that you wind up with very hard steering. In most cases you will have stiffness in steering with trail over 3 inches and most stock front ends start with around 4 inches. Of course you can get decent performance using the stock front end as long as you set it up at the rake angle it had on the bike it came from. What you wind up with then is a tendency to skip or scrub the front wheel any time you try to hit the curves a little fast. That can be a bit unnerving as well as wear out your tire faster. The key to a Trike that handles well is the Trail figure. The closer you can get that number to 1 to 1 1/2 inch the better. The rake angle can be as radical as you want it to be as long as the trail is within that range. 45 to 55 degree rake angle seems to work well for good looks and good handling. But even greater rake will get better handling but as you get into the more radical rakes, it becomes more difficult to get it all to come together. The height of the head must be dropped lower with radical rakes or you wind up with a very long front end to get the right trail. So it can be a bit tricky to get it all to come together, but once it does, its a much better Trike. Lots of luck to you. If I can ever be of any help, just let me know.

Bob

Checked out your web site, interesting stuff.

Looking at the stock bike setup as I have one but the LL setup looks like a fairly easy route. Will have to consider my options if I ever get that far.

Kennedy's adapter plates are spendy but good quality from what I understand.

Working on a low budget here!!

As others have stated, your motor is defiantly an ea82 series.

Slight HighJack here::GD or mikeshoup, can the feed back carb set up be ran without the ecm or is a must have item. Fellow member in the NE (Prince Edward Island) is doing one with this setup and I'm looking for info to help him out.

Thanks, Stumpy

Thanks, Stumpy

Never done it first hand, so GD would probably know more. From my understanding, not running the ECM forces the duty solenoid to be open 100%, making your mixture way rich.

FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE: have converted a ea81 cali emissions feedback carb to run without computer, just unplug the crap, the ea82 carb is basically the same critter

search for subiemech85 and emissions removal, have done several write-ups

have removed emissions equipment from ea71, ea81, ea82, ea82t

FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE: have converted a ea81 cali emissions feedback carb to run without computer, just unplug the crap, the ea82 carb is basically the same critter

search for subiemech85 and emissions removal, have done several write-ups

have removed emissions equipment from ea71, ea81, ea82, ea82t

But it will still run rich (think 15 MPG), and the they are NOT the same "critter". The EA82 ecu controls the fuel pump, and has more sensors than the EA81 ecu (manifold pressure, etc). For example "just removing" the ecu from an EA82 feedback will render the fuel pump inoperative. I have removed both styles and replaced with Weber's both on my 84 and my 86, so I know a thing or two about feedback Hitachi's.

GD