Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual handbrakes- the other way

Matty B

I thought I would put this in another thread as it is different...

When I went AWD I lost the ability to lock my centre diff.

With the rear hand brake conversion in the works, I am intrigued to know how effective it would be offroad with front and rear handbrakes.

From what I can see it would be a piece of piss to install and would give me bias control on the centre diff when wheels start to spin.

Comments please.

What do you reckon GD?

cool idea... but im not sure how it will be too effective

if say you have your front right wheel off the ground with an open centre diff, it will spin and you will not get drive to any wheels

you pull the front handbrake on so now both front wheels are locked up, now the back wheels have to try to push the front wheel untill the other one makes contact with the ground and you can drive all 4 again

be creative matt... 4 levers ftw :headbang: u will have 4 cables already running there anyways

or theres always a much heavier centre lsd to put in which still should be able to give you some drive to front and rear

another thought... those rwd spools for the ej boxes... do they actually convert it to rwd, or just lock the centre diff solid? you could do the welded trick and remove axles for on road driving.

Mate, I am trying to regulate the centre diff, not the front one.

The front diff will stand up to it, I have seen a Brumby (brat) with an H6 with twin FRONT handbrakes- It has been running for years with the harshest of abuse.

I am using the same principle and applying it to the middle diff with front and rear handbrakes.

BTW the units (diff centres) are almost identical.

Subaru didn't stuff around when it came to diff strength,

Bless their rallying socks.

the viscous center diff is pretty strong. when Austin and I went up to the MN offroad park, he got high centered, but with both back wheels touching the ground, and one front wheel in the air. if the center was truly open, that one front wheel that was in the air would spin freely....but no, it spun, but at the same time, one of the back wheels dug a hole in the ground trying to get traction.

I think the ideal situation would be LSD or welded rear, and dual handbrake on the front. the front diff is the only one that you don't and can't easily get a traction control device in....

• 3 weeks later...
Mount a joystick with a long lever to the passenger side floor, route all 4 cables to it, and make it the passengers job to controll wheelspin.

Passengers keep getting out with white faces, vowing never to get in again!

I need to weld that door up.