Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strong gas smell at startup

When I start my 1999 OBW (2.5L, with 39,000 miles on the odometer) I get a strong gasoline smell in the cabin. :cornfuzz:

This happens after the car sits overnight, or all day in the parking garage at work, and started happening when the weather turned cold here in Massachusetts.

Mileage is pretty crappy, too, about 21mpg, but this may be the result of low tire pressure and combined city and highway driving.

Any ideas?

Have you noticed any leaks on the ground? Here's my guess:

There is residual pressure in the fuel lines after shut-down. My guess is that there is a really tiny fuel line crack/tear, or a loose fitting, and the fuel drips slowly overnight and collects. And when you go and start the car, your vents blow some of the vapors into the cabin.

The gas lines run on the inside of the car, so you may have a damaged line or a loose clamp. Most damage is done by people installing audio systems and accidently drilling trough a line.

Or as Strakes indicated you could have an external leak.

Or you could have a problem with your evaporative emmissions system. Any check engine codes? Check for a cracked charcoal canister. It is behind the right rear wheel (on all 2000+ models and some earlier ones as well). This behind wheel location is not good, as it is susceptable to damage, on the 2005 model this canister is in a different location.

Have you recently changed a fuel filter? Are its hose clamps tight? The reason I ask is based on mileage and age your fuel filter is past its scheduled replacement time.

Another cause could be a leaking fuel injector, they rarely fail, but when they do you get a gasoline odour from the engine compartment that is difficult to locate (very small amount of fuel).

I am not sure but isn't the fuel system part of the emmisions warranty that is 7years/110,000 miles or something like that?

Thanks for the replies. Since I haven't done any drilling or anything that could have damaged the fuel line, I'll have to go with the idea that there is an external leak somewhere, even though I haven't seen evidence of a leak.

No CEL no engine codes to check. I'm going to close down the vents, turn off the fan, etc when I start it tomorrow morning. The car will have been sitting unused for over 24 hours at that point. I'll see if there is any smell. I'll also check the charcoal canister. Fuel filter hasn't been touched lately but I'll double check. If there was a leak I would think that I'd smell gas when I opened the hood and stuck my nose in the engine compartment but there is nothing.

If it persists I'll take it to the dealer since I believe the warranty on the emissions system is 75K or something higher.

That's all for now.

• 1 year later...

I have '97 Subaru Legacy L and it's been having the same kind of symptoms as newsooby's '99 OBW. I will leave for school in the cold dark morning and I get a rush of gasoline fumes. I talked with a friend who is an all around car guy and he said to check the fuel lines, but I bought my car from a private owner who lost the owner's manual, so I don't know where to check it. The gas smell goes away after about 20-30 mins of driving but man does it stink when it starts up. Any help would be much appreciated.

• 6 years later...
When I start my 1999 OBW (2.5L, with 39,000 miles on the odometer) I get a strong gasoline smell in the cabin. :cornfuzz:

This happens after the car sits overnight, or all day in the parking garage at work, and started happening when the weather turned cold here in Massachusetts.

Mileage is pretty crappy, too, about 21mpg, but this may be the result of low tire pressure and combined city and highway driving.

Any ideas?

The problem could be a combination of the rubber fuel hoses loose at their nipples or cracked. They should be tightened. The prv valve may also need to be changed. I went through this a number of times last year and then last night. I hope it is hoses only this time.

The OP probably figured it out by now, but often this is one or more of the short lengths of fuel hose on the runners underneath the intake manifold. It usually happens after a cold night. Subaru originally issued a bulletin about it, but for the WRX or STI only I believe, though it seems to happen on all the models from those eras.

The recall was actually just for the 02-03 WRX, not sure if the OBS/RS got the recall or not. A lot of 04 STi owners complained of the problem but the recall did not apply to them.

The recalls calls for the removal of the intake manifold and replace the fuel lines.

Edited by Durania