Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 part-out

I am contemplating parting out my 1989 DL 4wd wagon, EA82 (3rd gen I believe), 5-speed, push button 4wd. 151k on the motor, believed to have a cracked headgasket. Anything and everything on the car is for sale, so long as I can sell at least $500 of parts off of it. Please email me at pite0007@umn.edu with parts requests, picture requests, more info, etc. Again, this is not a definite part-out, but if I can get at least $500 of parts from this car then I will part it out. Thanks.

I don't have the time to put a headgasket in myself, and the cheapest I can get a head gasket put in for is around $400. I bought the car for $800 in May 2006. I would love to get it fixed, if I knew it was going to be 100% reliable and not have any other problems or need any other parts for at least a year if I did get everything fixed. I am also worried that if someone goes in there and tears half the engine apart that there are going to be other parts that need replacement also (timing belt and wheel bearing for sure need it, but I am worried about valves, possible cracked head, etc.). I have to pay off my school loan since I graduated in the spring, so I don't really want to throw a bunch of money at the Subaru cuz money is tight. But like I said, if I knew I could get everything fixed and have a 100% reliable vehicle if I put say at most $600 into it and it would last for another year without anything major going wrong, I would keep it.

So you're lookin at having like $1500 in your car... What do you think another car in that neighborhood will look and act like? Buy one and find out quickly that it will need breaks, tires, battery, ect- just to name a few of the 1st things. So then you have a car you paid $1500 for and are still looking at putting more money into. Stick w/ your soob- you will be happier in the long run!

Hey, was just wondering- Why do you think it needs a head gasket? Just curious.

It needs a headgasket due to overheating in the past. It leaks a large amount of coolant, and has the telltale sign of bubbles in the coolant reservoir. The heater takes forever to get hot, and it must constantly be run on high to keep the engine temp cool. The leaking coolant drips on some of the belts which then spray it onto the hot engine block and tons of smoke starts under the hood. The idle is rough, and the vehicle drives very sluggish like it has lost compression. After running for 5 or 10 miles, the vehicle acts like it wants to die and if it does, it can not be started up again until the engine temp cools down. That is why it needs a headgasket, and why I believe it probably needs a few other things under the hood too. If I have the headgasket done, I know I would also have the wheel bearing replaced, along with the valve cover gasket, spark plugs and boots, timing belt, water pump, radiator, and coolant hoses. I have no clue as to the condition of the clutch, which could also be a possible expense.

If anyone can refer me to a good place to have the headgasket replaced/my vehicle worked on (near the Rochester, MN area), or instructions/a manual with photos and very detailed instructions on how to work on the heasgasket, it would be cery helpful. Thanks.

If anyone can refer me to a good place to have the headgasket replaced/my vehicle worked on (near the Rochester, MN area), or instructions/a manual with photos and very detailed instructions on how to work on the heasgasket, it would be cery helpful. Thanks.

If you have time do the work yourself, you can save tons of money, and it would seem that you are suggesting that you may.

Intructions to do any work to this car are right here at your fingertips. Just takes time. The search function can and will provide all that you ask for above. And if you get stuck, just ask for help, and you will get it from the many generous board members.

I agree completely with the posters that believe you would be better off repairing you Subaru, as oppose to starting over. I have daughters that keep buying cheep used cars, and when they break down, call it a lemon and buy another. It's my opinion that this is totally stoopid, but what do I know? My Soob has 300,000 thou on the chasis. New motor, new axels, brakes, bearings all the way around, Weber carb, so on and so forth. Sure, it took a few years, but just keep after it. I know what's new, and whats not. I know what is likely to give me grief, and what probably wont. I bought mine for 300 bucks with a new motor, and blown auto trans. then I picked up a couple of free parts cars, one with a 5sp. did the swap. The bought disk brakes from a board member. Same with the webber carb. I think that one of the best things about owning one of these old Soobs is the generous support availiable here online at USMB. When I started a couple of years ago, I knew vitually NOTHING about SOOBS. But with the collective knowledge of all these other Soob enthusiaists, I don't believe that there is any problem that could arise that I couldn't tackle with confidence. So any way, learn to use the search function here on board, and don't forget the USMB repair manual which is always right here.

Good luck

Pyro

Only way I wouldnt put money into a Subaru is if the sub-frame was rotted out - have a couple of parts cars that have this problem. fender rust is really not a big deal, but frame rust is.

like pyro, i got my car cheap - $150.00. Had to put new clutch, axles, alt, battery and tires in/on it before i could drive it much - spent about $1100 total, including purchase, tags & registration, but have had this car for over 5 yrs now, and put well over 100,000 on it myself (has 244K on the clock and still going) in the years since i bought it i have done timing belts, brakes, wheel bearings, tierod ends and a few other odds and ends.

once i get the new glass installed and get her back out of the garage and on the road I wouldnt hesitate to drive it cross country, i have that much confidence in it. (would be a little chilly right now!! no windshield!) This ol' girl has MORE than paid me back for the money that has been spent on her.

See, once you get these cars straightened out from the neglect they suffered by previous owners, they will last, and last, and last with very little more than basic maintenance. sometimes it may take a little time and effort to get things sorted out, but they are WELL worth it in the end. Put your hard earned money, and some time and effort into the Subaru - in the end you wont be sorry.

For less than $400 you can buy the tools and parts and have that thing installed in a day - two tops.

Most of the people on this board are capable of doing or have done a HG on an EA at one time or another. That's just the type of advise you are going to get around here. You are far, far better off learning something, and doing the job yourself than getting into some unknown vehicle. Don't be such a Nancy - get your hands dirty.

If you can take it apart enough to ship the peices to people, then you can put a HG in it. Besides that, I guarantee you will never get $500 from the parts of a DL. No one wants push button tranny's. You might get a few bucks for the fuel injection, but that's about it. $200 tops and WAY, WAY more of your time spent removing, packing and shipping. It's just not worth it. Us Subaru owners are not rich people, and for the majority of us, unless the part is rare, or hard to get in our area, we prefer going to a local yard where we have a large selection, and avoid shipping.

Do the right thing - both for your wallet, and for you own peice of mind. You have a nice low mileage fuel injected EA82 there - all it needs it about $150 worth of parts, and weekend of your time. You won't find much sympathy for a situation like that unless both your legs are broken.

GD