Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wide shield wiper speed

Hi all,

I am thinking of trying to speed up my wipers. Someone spoke of regrounding my wiper motor and cleaning up connections. right now my connector has this white grease in it. is this likely to be a conductive grease or should i clean this out and use some deoxit spray.

secondly, I was also told to remove the motor assembly and grease the motor and gears. is this a long job, simple? complicated? and what grease would I use.

Hi all,

I am thinking of trying to speed up my wipers. Someone spoke of regrounding my wiper motor and cleaning up connections. right now my connector has this white grease in it. is this likely to be a conductive grease or should i clean this out and use some deoxit spray.

secondly, I was also told to remove the motor assembly and grease the motor and gears. is this a long job, simple? complicated? and what grease would I use.

the grease in the connector is good. It water proofs the connection.

Opening up the motor to check the grease isnt a bad idea, its straight forward BUT its selaed so i dont think it would help (can't hurt).

it is possible that your motor is tired> Subarus are not know for fast wipers (i miss three speeds my fathers dart had). Also check the linkage to make sure its not binding.

I think the wiper motor grounds through the switch (i dont remeber) so a ground wire may not help.

nipper

nipper

hi,

Your previous post for this did not get an answer?

Anyhoo, I was the one that posted about turning the wipers into a car shaker. The low speed is faster than my old high setting.

Although my prob was due to arctic tundra- metal changes density permanently on some parts of the car (it is an odd subject for some of you warm weather people :rolleyes: ), extreme heat can do something similar for moving parts. The biggest loosener wasn't even the motor, but the actual linkage where wiper arms attach, there is shafts running through thier aluminum casing. I used synthetic bearing grease there. it is a bit of a chore to get to, but well worth it- you may even find something interesting in the linkage bay and gives an oppurtinity to clean the heater motor vents.

Another motor needed is unlikely if it is functioning... My 87's brushes after 20 years are over 50% left to wear them down , and that is how long they lasted with bad grease...I very well may have stopped them in time for all I know. Good Luck, there is only so many moving parts to target.