Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Outback - "sputtering issues"

Once again I find myself in need of a little advice. I own a 96 Subaru Outback with 130 miles. Until recently, she have given my very little problems. However, I have noticed that she is "sputtering" when she is in park. Furthermore, I have noticed that if I step on the gas just slighly, I get a hesitation before I go. I have tried all the very basic stuff (changed gas stations, changed brands, put fuel cleaner in, changed the air filter etc) but nothing seems to correct the problem. The next step that I am thinking of is changing the plugs (they have been in there for about 50k)......I will say that I seem to be getting a lot of carbon coming out of the tailpipe.......Be interested in feedback....thanks!

changing the plugs (they have been in there for about 50k)
What kind of plugs are you running? If they're not iridium or platinum sounds like they're due for a change anyway. I have yet to have an issue with NGK's.

Do you think the IACV (or as Subaru sometimes calls it the ISCV idle speed control valve) might be all gummed up? Maybe your intake and throttle butterfly is all coked up.

Motorvac first time - yes.

O2 sensor plus some 'cleaner' stuff second time, yes... after several weeks.

Third time going on right now... Haven't resolved it yet. I was hoping that some cleaner would work... it has help, but I may have to resort to a Motorvac cleaning again.

Commuter

PS - Car is now 10 yrs old with 528,000 km.

Motorvac first time - yes.

O2 sensor plus some 'cleaner' stuff second time, yes... after several weeks.

Third time going on right now... Haven't resolved it yet. I was hoping that some cleaner would work... it has help, but I may have to resort to a Motorvac cleaning again.

Commuter

PS - Car is now 10 yrs old with 528,000 km.

Commuter....what is a "motorvac" treaatment"??

thanks

Commuter....what is a "motorvac" treatment"??

thanks

It goes by different names. Essentially, a strong cleaner is run thru the engine via the fuel rail to clean out gum and carbon. You are suppose to change your oil a week later.

What I was told is that the Motorvac one is a bit different in that they first just circulate the cleaner thru the fuel rail (nothing running) for several minutes to loosen / clean things up there, then the car is run with the stuff going thru the engine.

You could google it and find out for sure. I'm just going by memory of what they told me years ago. It DID work! Cost runs around $80 to $100 last I heard.

You could also try the water decarbonization that frag was asking about recently, although that won't do anything for the injectors / fuel rail. As I understand it, the issue is typically carbon in the combustion chamber anyway.

Commuter