Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lock to start car

del

1985 gl hatch ea81

the key switch is worn and and one must play with the key to start the car. can i have a locksmith fix this (and retain the orginal key) or must i find another lock. if so is there a jy that will ship the lock? (no ea81 found locally in yard).

thanks del

1985 gl hatch ea81

the key switch is worn and and one must play with the key to start the car. can i have a locksmith fix this (and retain the orginal key) or must i find another lock. if so is there a jy that will ship the lock? (no ea81 found locally in yard).

thanks del

Yes, find a reputable locksmith and bring it to them. If it isnt salvagable, get a new one, and have it rekeyed so you can use your original key.

Yes, find a reputable locksmith and bring it to them. If it isnt salvagable, get a new one, and have it rekeyed so you can use your original key.

Are you sure its the ignition switch and not the key? I would go to a dealer and have a new key made (i just did that for 7.00) and try that first. Call a dealer or two to see if they have the key codes. First dealer i went too said my 1997 was too old and there would be no key code in the system. Second dealer said they have every key code in the subaru system.

nipper

Are you sure its the ignition switch and not the key? I would go to a dealer and have a new key made (i just did that for 7.00) and try that first. Call a dealer or two to see if they have the key codes. First dealer i went too said my 1997 was too old and there would be no key code in the system. Second dealer said they have every key code in the subaru system.

nipper

don't trust the ones who say it is to old, allot of them just don't want to look it up

Any EA-81 series car should work, hatchbacks, wagons, sedans, and brats, from 80-84 for the wagons and sedans, and up to 89 for the hatchbacks and the brats.

not 100% on all those working, but they all seem similar enough.

There should be a pin on the bottom of the lock cylinder, and with the key turned to the on position, it will be able to release the cylinder which if you find one that works at the junk yard, you can just take yours out and put the new one in.

As far as your key code goes...... They go back to at least '82. The key code will be stamped or printed on your passenger side door lock cylinder. Any competent locksmith can look it up. If for some reason it's not there, check the drivers side. If you can't find it at all, pull either cylinder and take it to a locksmith. They can cut a key from the tumbler pattern and then tell you what the key code is. I just went through this on the Turbo Coupe as the key got crushed along with my XT6.:banghead: