Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any oil pump tricks? EA82 Loyale.

Hi Everybody!

I was doing t-belts, water pump, and oil pump seals. I have the oil pump out. Looks good. I want to replace the shaft seal. I got the nut off the shaft, now I need to get the pully off the shaft. I have a 32mm socket ready to use. Was going to tap the shaft out of the pully. Sound good? Anybody have an opinion here? Thanks!

Hi Everybody!

I was doing t-belts, water pump, and oil pump seals. I have the oil pump out. Looks good. I want to replace the shaft seal. I got the nut off the shaft, now I need to get the pully off the shaft. I have a 32mm socket ready to use. Was going to tap the shaft out of the pully. Sound good? Anybody have an opinion here? Thanks!

Put the nut back on the threads so it is just even with the shaft end. Tap gently with a soft face mallet. Make sure your not dinging up the pump rotor piece on the other end in the process of trying to hold/brace it. Not sure what you were gonna do with the 32 mil socket?

Also it's good to do the camshaft seals and front main seal at this time as well

I am going to use the 32mm socket on the backside (engine side) of the pump to support it while it tapped the rotor out- into the socket. Pretty common. My cam and main seals look OK, that is, they arn't leaking. I havn't located new ones yet, so I am not changing them now. I am leaving off the t-belt covers, and I am not sure if my new t-belt kit will arrive in time, So I may be putting the old ones back on. They look pretty good. So going back in after a little while is expected here:-\

I am going to use the 32mm socket on the backside (engine side) of the pump to support it while it tapped the rotor out- into the socket. Pretty common. My cam and main seals look OK, that is, they arn't leaking. I havn't located new ones yet, so I am not changing them now. I am leaving off the t-belt covers, and I am not sure if my new t-belt kit will arrive in time, So I may be putting the old ones back on. They look pretty good. So going back in after a little while is expected here:-\

Ahh, I get the socket thing now. I always braced it between two pieces of 2x4. I put a tiny nick on the pump rotor one time. I de burred it and thouught it was so tiny as to not matter much but it did. I got about 20% lower oil pressure. ended up haveing to replace the rotor. Maybe put a rag in the bottom of socket?

I too put a tiny nick in my rotor, but did it when I broke the nut free on the pully. I deburred it, and you're right- it is so tiny!! However, you having been thru it already, I have to assume I will see that psi drop. Like I said in the other thread, I need that new pully because the inner ring has seperated anyway. Can I find a whole new pump already to go in?

I know I have a good working rotor assembly. It came out of a pump I ruined by over tightenig the pressure sensor and cracking the pump body. Better to use plumbers tape to seal and not turn so tight. I found out the hard way. If Subaru has any they are like 150 bucks. But I heard a rumor they don't sell em anymore.(just a rumor) I haven't seen any aftermarket. Pm me if your interested. I am in Kenosha, WI so it wouldn't cost much to ship. you would still have to reassemble with your new seals. I use a piece of old rubber heater hose cut open to wrap around the rotor while holding with channel lock pliers to remove/reinstall.

If you don't want to pay the $80 or so buck Subaru sells them for, try to find a good import parts store that sells Paraut pumps. The often list them as "Genuine", because they have made the pumps for Subaru for years.

A good quality aftermarket brand is GMB. Probably a little easier to find than Paraut.

IMHO, this is not a part to try and cheap out on since oil pressure and circulation are imperative in keeping a Subie in good condition. Especially since these 2 brands can be had for somewhere in the $30 range.

Remember to replace the 2 o-rings, Mickey and Minnie! Also remember that the turbo oil pump is different from the non-turbo models.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

If you don't want to pay the $80 or so buck Subaru sells them for, try to find a good import parts store that sells Paraut pumps. The often list them as "Genuine", because they have made the pumps for Subaru for years.

A good quality aftermarket brand is GMB. Probably a little easier to find than Paraut.

IMHO, this is not a part to try and cheap out on since oil pressure and circulation are imperative in keeping a Subie in good condition. Especially since these 2 brands can be had for somewhere in the $30 range.

Remember to replace the 2 o-rings, Mickey and Minnie! Also remember that the turbo oil pump is different from the non-turbo models.

Emily

HMM... I paid $153 with my shop discount for one from subaru dealer 2 years ago. $80 bucks? perhaps the dealerships charge what they want too? perhaps your dealership was selling an aftermarket? Some of the Subaru dealers are starting to carry aftermarket parts for the older cars. I have never been able to find an aftermarket one from a parts store. That's just me.

Also the only difference between turbo and non is the sending unit depending on whether you have a gauge or an idiot light for oil pressure. You can swap your sensor/switch from one to the other. Again I said that it was a "RUMOUR" that Subaru had stopped selling them. Glad that it is not the case apparently(or maybe the dealers are only carrying $80 aftermarket ones)

Emily

HMM... I paid $153 with my shop discount for one from subaru dealer 2 years ago. $80 bucks? perhaps the dealerships charge what they want too? perhaps your dealership was selling an aftermarket? Some of the Subaru dealers are starting to carry aftermarket parts for the older cars. I have never been able to find an aftermarket one from a parts store. That's just me.

Also the difference between turbo and non is the sending unit depending on whether you have a gauge or an idiot light for oil pressure. You can swap your sensor/switch from one to the other. Again I said that it was a "RUMOUR" that Subaru had stopped selling them.I haven't had to buy one for 2 years. Glad that it is not the case apparently(or maybe the dealers are only carrying $80 aftermarket ones)

Last geniune Parut one I bought was $65 from my local discount house. Anything over $100 is rediculous.

Dealerships charge whatever they please. Find a friendly one like Lithia that will give you wholesale. I get wholesale on all my old gen parts. My parts guys are very good to me.

GD

John and Phils in corvallis ALWAYS treated me good.(they all know me there in the parts dept.) and by your own statement you bought a "parut" pump from a "discount" house. The original SUBARU pump is more. And I do think Subaru stopped making them so the cheaper aftermarket pump is what is available.

John and Phils in corvallis ALWAYS treated me good.(they all know me there in the parts dept.) and by your own statement you bought a "parut" pump from a "discount" house. The original SUBARU pump is more. And I do think Subaru stopped making them so the cheaper aftermarket pump is what is available.

The original IS a parut. They made both the original oil and water pumps FOR subaru. I've bought many parut pumps and they are 100% identical down to the Fuji emblem emobossed on the casting.

And as far as I know there is NO aftermaket manufacturer of subaru oil pumps. GMB makes water pumps, but I've never seen a listing for an oil pump other than the OEM Parut pumps. Just go try to find a listing for one - they simply don't exist. The Parut's are still made - both for the EA81 and the EA82, and my local dealer can easily get them.

Subaruparts.com (also a dealer) listing:

http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=15010AA016

(notice how it's listed as IN STOCK?)

You my friend, got ripped off, and lied to.

GD

The original IS a parut. They made both the original oil and water pumps FOR subaru. I've bought many parut pumps and they are 100% identical down to the Fuji emblem emobossed on the casting.

And as far as I know there is NO aftermaket manufacturer of subaru oil pumps. GMB makes water pumps, but I've never seen a listing for an oil pump other than the OEM Parut pumps. Just go try to find a listing for one - they simply don't exist. The Parut's are still made - both for the EA81 and the EA82, and my local dealer can easily get them.

GD

I've seen the Fuji emblem on many non originol factory parts. doesn't mean it's from Fuji. You can find that emblem on Hitachi disty's and JECS MAFS. I've bought aftermarket NEW waterpumps with that emblem cast in it. don't mean it's from Fuji. I have double checked my FUJI PARTS CATALOG. Say's the pump is manufactured by Fuji. Paraut doesn't sound very japanese to me.

Now the Paraut pumps are probably just fine for quality and if you can get em cheaper more power to you. I only use parts from the dealer because I can gaurantee the quality for my customers(anymore the dealers sometimes carry quality aftermarket, hence 80 bucks for a "dealer" pump?perhaps?). That does not mean other parts won't work just fine.

Now the Paraut pumps are probably just fine for quality and if you can get em cheaper more power to you. I only use parts from the dealer because I can gaurantee the quality for my customers. That does not mean other parts won't work just fine.

YOU ARE NOT LISTENING. There's no difference. Both me, and Emily from CCR have told you this. :mad:

Paraut is the OEM manufacturer of all EA series subaru oil and water pumps. PERIOD. Your original factory pump came from the same production, as did any parts from the dealership. You are spending more for NO REASON.

I'm the last person you have to preach to about dealer parts. Beleive me. I'm getting close to 8,000 posts, and I've been here for long enough to know a thing or two.

And see my link above - with my wholesale discount at Lithia, the dealer pump IS about $80, and it's NOT aftermarket.

GD

Looks pretty damn japanese to me.

http://www.tanzawa.or.jp/~paraut/page01/page01.html

Leave your feelings about how it "sounds" at home. This is a place for facts. Try google next time.

A bit of searching shows that Atsugi/Unisia/Paraut were all the same company prior to 1987. If you have a look at any original subaru pump from the early 80's it says "Atsugi" right on it, and later castings say "Paraut".

GD

GD,

Yeah, all the writing on the paper in the box is in Japanese. There's one small part, translated into English (badly :D ), that's a hoot to read.

Made In Japan is printed nice and large on the box.

We get ours from an importer who gets them in bulk out of Japan. If they run out, it may be as long as 5-6 months before they'll get more in.

That's a part of our business that can be a real headache. For us to buy direct from Japan, we'd have to purchase a complete container of just ONE part (container = about a semi trailer size). :eek:

That's just too much, in more ways than one, for a small company like ours.

So, about every 6 months or so, I have to go scrounging to all our suppliers for some part or another. It's not always the same one: could be rings, bearings, pumps, whatever...spread across a variety of years and models. At these times, even the dealers don't have them. In fact, there have been times we've actually had more of something than SOA has in all their warehouses combined! :lol:

If we would use "aftermarket", it would be different.

Happy New Year to Everyone!

Emily