Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loss of AWD in my 1995 Legacy

See if any of this is related to your problem

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55651

Hey, thanks Gyuunuuya.

That is a phenomenal write-up and the pictures greatly add to it--nice touch

But I have to say, after reading it, I’m going to have to do some serious introspection and see if I have what it take to tackle it by myself. I don’t know why, but I have always had a mental block to ever doing any transmission work myself. $1000 doesn't seem so bad all of a sudden after seeing what you went through. Afterall, what is three days of your life worth...

But...

I can do it…

I can do it...

I know I can do it…

Even better, how close to Oregon are you? What are you doing next weekend? The pizza and beer are on me??!!

-V5

They just sometimes go when ist a failure like yours. Its mechanical things break. Dont ever worry about material in the fluid, as thats normal. You may even see some metal depending upon what the clutches are made of. Its the big metal chunks you worry about.

They go the same as a tranny will slip (which is also rare in these cars). Stuff happens.

nipper

That's right, Nipper, stuff does happen. But all things said-and-done, I couldn't be happier with my Legacy. It has already lasted twice as long as I was counting on. Every day is a bonus in my eyes and I don't forsee her giving up on me any time soon.

How does Subaru make any money if their cars never die and people don't have to buy new ones? Hmmmm...

-V5

some poeple buy cars because they wear out, most people buy cars because they FEEL better driving a newer car. for me a car is a tool, no more, no less. i didn't thro away my wooden handled hamer just cause they started making them out of fiberglass. and i'm very like;y the only member of this fourm still using windows 98.

now some cars are toys, and some are entertainment, and some are mistresses...

each to his own.

"Mistresses"! That's really funny!

I'm of the same mindset that cars are tools. "The Jones" have long left me behind--I stopped keeping up with them years ago.

I'm VERY frugal but at the same time all about quality. It's cheaper in the long run to buy quality over cheap junk (although I'm way beyond Window's '98, John).

I'll drive my Subaru until she dies...

And then I'll buy another...

-V5

[...]i'm very like;y the only member of this fourm still using windows 98.

Nah, there's at least one other (First Edition, at that). :banana::)

Actually, I've read it's estimated that about 50 million computers are still running a legal version of Win 98.

However, I did recently download Firefox 2.0, since IE6 has been giving me some grief.

My philosophy is to keep things going until there either are no parts available, the economics make no sense, or they just don't do the job any more.

Nah, there's at least one other (First Edition, at that). :banana::)

Actually, I've read it's estimated that about 50 million computers are still running a legal version of Win 98.

However, I did recently download Firefox 2.0, since IE6 has been giving me some grief.

My philosophy is to keep things going until there either are no parts available, the economics make no sense, or they just don't do the job any more.

i'm a little surprised that the number s are that high for win 98. i wonder if some of those 50 million computers are sitting on a shelf not being used. i have an old win 3.1 doing that. by the time i was ready to upgrade, it wasn't worht any thing to any one.

Sorry, dredging this old thread of mine back out.

I was wondering, since the loss of my AWD just seems to be due to old-age/wear-and-tear, does it stand to reason that I could have prolonged the life of my AWD by driving as often as possible in FWD mode? Say during the summers or other times when I wouldn't have needed it (and, of course, I was diligent about rotating the tires)?

Just wondering if I decide to drop one grand-ski ($1000) on this thing, can I maximize its life by driving more in only FWD? Would this also be a good strategy for newer Subarus--ones, say, with the AWD still working?

Thanks all!

-V5

Sorry, dredging this old thread of mine back out.

I was wondering, since the loss of my AWD just seems to be due to old-age/wear-and-tear, does it stand to reason that I could have prolonged the life of my AWD by driving as often as possible in FWD mode? Say during the summers or other times when I wouldn't have needed it (and, of course, I was diligent about rotating the tires)?

Just wondering if I decide to drop one grand-ski ($1000) on this thing, can I maximize its life by driving more in only FWD? Would this also be a good strategy for newer Subarus--ones, say, with the AWD still working?

Thanks all!

-V5

nope. AWD is used all the time by the computer weather you know it or not.

nope to the second also Thats like saying gee my car is slipping in third gear, so if i just in drive 2.

If your going to do the third point, why even bother owning a subaru.

Nothing lasts forever, period. If the AWD lasted over 100,00 miles or 7 years, i dont see what the problem is. Things wear out, cars wear out. If your fridge motor burns out, do you stop opening the door in the next one:rolleyes:

Everything wil lats longer if you never turn it on, but then what is the joy in having it?

Also how does one intend upon shutting off the AWD. The fuse is for emergencies, or when the TB is so bad you have no choice. You leave it on you will burn up the Duty C solenoid. Also i want to watch you pull the fuse when its raining outside :)

nipper

...If your fridge motor burns out, do you stop opening the door in the next one:rolleyes:...

nipper

...but how would I get the beer out?

Okay, okay. I see your point. And I'm all about utility--things should be used. Your point is I should be stoked to have 148,000 miles after 12 years on her, and I am. I was just wondering if there was a way to make it last longer--you know, prophylactically speaking. As you can see, I'm still in denial about all this and only now starting to come to terms with this.

So do you also recommend that even though I have nothing going to the rear wheels, I should NOT have the FWD fuse installed (I don't have binding)? It was my understanding there was no problem with leaving the FWD fuse in for extended periods of time and that one could even squeeze a couple more MPG's out of the beast. And at $3.00 a whack, an MPG here and a MPG there would save me a little coin (maybe even pay for an AWD rebuild).

And I wouldn't actually have to pull the fuse in the rain. I live in Western Oregon. It rains here 7 months out of the year...STRAIGHT. I would just pull the fuse in November and put it back in sometime in June.

-V5

Urban subaru legend # 237

The FWD fuse will give better gas mileage.

No.

You still have to move two whells, bearings, axles, 1 differential, 2 driveshafts (halves) and a center bearing weather or not the fuse is in.

Ive been thinking about this, and even though you may not have RWD at slow speed, you may have it at higher speed, since the pressure is also varied to the clutches as long as the duration.

How to make it last longer (note beer will last longer if you dont open the fridge door), regular automatic fluid changes and make sure tires match and are within spec. ALso you can just park the car but ......

nipper

...You still have to move two whells, bearings, axles, 1 differential, 2 driveshafts (halves) and a center bearing weather or not the fuse is in...

Touche, good point! But at least it made me feel better THINKING I was getting better mileage. I'm going to throw away everything I know and start learning here anew...

...Ive been thinking about this, and even though you may not have RWD at slow speed, you may have it at higher speed, since the pressure is also varied to the clutches as long as the duration...

nipper

Well, I'll give her a yank the next time I'm at 55 on a snow-packed mountain pass and let you know how it turns out. You know, if the AWD was kicked-in and all...

...note beer will last longer if you dont open the fridge door...

nipper

That's really funny!!! I've also have tried the approach of not putting it in the fridge in the first place but apparently I'm not above drinking luke-warm beer. Whatever, unlike my AWD, it still works...

-V5