Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Contraption Coming off of Transmission

I have a wire coming off of the transmission on a 91 Loyale that leads to nowhere. On the wire there is a little contraption in the circuit. Also there is a ground wire just hanging off a bracket not connected to anything. The wire off of the mystery contraption reaches the mystery ground wire, but I'm not sure if they are supposed to connect.

Some of the things that are wrong with my car are:

*AC / heater fan only works on high.

* 4WD light on dash does not illuminate.

* clock doesn't work.

*oil pressure gauge doesn't work.

I'd like to fix all of these things, and a good start I think would be to make sure everything is connected properly.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I don´t understand exactly on Which fan are you Writin´ About, So, those are the two Answers:

For the External A/C Fan:

Older EA82´s Subies, came with a Weird Config. on the Wires (The Ones that got Two Relays in the Passenger´s Side of the Hood, just Behind the Strut´s Place, near to the Windshield.)

That config lets the external electric fan on the Radiator, to Start only when the Radiator is Hot, or when A/C System has about five minutes functioning, Its related to a Pressure Switch on the A/C´s Gas Line...

Then, Subaru did sell a Small Wire Set to Corect that Problem. (That fan Shall go on when you press AC botton, to gain Performance in AC Behavior / Prevent Engine Overheatin´) so that wires just Plug between the Original Relay´s Plugs and the Relays (The Wire Set is just Two Female / two Male Plugs, and a Lot of Crossed Wires Betwen)

Maybe That´s Why your Fan isn´t Startin´ along with the A/C.

in that Case, I Suggest to visit the Dealer for that Part. (The Wire Set)

For the Internal A/C Fan: The malfunction is due to the Switch and Motor´s Resistors... I don´t know exactly how to fix it, but someone else here will help you.

Good Luck! :)

I have a wire coming off of the transmission on a 91 Loyale that leads to nowhere. On the wire there is a little contraption in the circuit. Also there is a ground wire just hanging off a bracket not connected to anything. The wire off of the mystery contraption reaches the mystery ground wire, but I'm not sure if they are supposed to connect.

Ground wire should connect to the transmission housing. Look for a bolt somewhere to lock it down to.

Some of the things that are wrong with my car are:

Your resistor block is blown. Do a thread search for "fan resistor block". It's under the passenger dash near the blower motor housing. They often burn out - it's quite common.

* 4WD light on dash does not illuminate.

If the light does not come on, first make sure the bulb checks ok when you first turn on the ignition. If it does, then likely the transmission isn't engaging 4WD. This a push-button 5 speed? Probably a broken vacuum line to the 4WD solenoid, but also could be the wireing to the 4WD light switch on the tranny if the 4WD is working.

* clock doesn't work.

Clock circuit board needs to be resoldered. Almost a universal failure. Solder joints get old and shrink away from the circuit from the heat of the power supply capacitors. Pop it out of the dash, remelt the solder, and re-install.

*oil pressure gauge doesn't work.

Almost always a bad sending unit. It hangs down in front of the pump. About $35 - $40 from the dealer.

I'd like to fix all of these things, and a good start I think would be to make sure everything is connected properly.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Sounds like you are on the right track. The ground wire should definately be connected, and the other wire..... would have to see it to tell you for sure.

GD

• 2 years later...