Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension upgrade

NoahDL88

Since i've got my issues with the 5 lug swap, which i won't bore you with anymore, i've decided to upgrade the front suspension.

Control arms will be threaded rod into aluminum solid stock so they are adjustable, from stock length ( incase its not the issue with the axles) and longer, so that i can try and get my camber in check.

Onto the control arms will be the radius rod, which at Monstaru's suggestion will be the same on the front attachment point, but will feature some nice heim joints on the rear, so that they allow more flex.

Why? why not?

While i'm in there i'm gonna see if i can remove two of my main bearings, there causing a temporary space time vortex which makes me all tingly inside. :cool:

get ahold of me if you need to.with a little prodding i can find some resources around here that build race cars......they use heim joints all the time.if you get me some measurements i can possibly mock one up for you.or just send me a control arm and some measurements.

Will do, just have to design something up, and then figure out where to get them made if i can't do it myself

if you go with heims get some nicer ones with either a teflon liner or a zerk and keep them clean, because if they get grimy and you neglect them they get clapped out very fast. you might consider making some rubber boots for them out of bicycle inner tube. I made some swaybar endlinks that used the cheapest type of heims and after a few winter months of road grime and mud they were rattling like crazy.

all in all, heims will never be as durable in muddy conditions as a rubber bushing will and will be a lot less forgiving to the rest of the suspension and the car. but as you say suspension friction will be cut way down.

where to get heims, www.stockcarproducts.com has a huge selection of sizes that would be a good match for a subaru. I'd say go to the next size up from what the stock hardware at that joint is. 3/4" seems like a good one. SAE sizes are MUCH cheaper than anything metric.

johnny joints are an even better option because they are rebuildable but you would have to do a steel control arm and weld the shells to it.