Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Climate Control Fan Problem in 97 OBS

Hi all,

My daughter is driving my 97 OBS while at college, and she called me tonight to report that the climate control fan is not working all of the time. The past three days she has driven the car, and the fan seems to work every once in awhile. It sounds like there might be a short, since she has had it to blow air once or twice. I am going to have her bring the car to my this weekend so that I can check it out. Has anyone else had to deal with this, and if so, any suggestions about this. Thanks in advance,

DTate

My daughter is driving my 97 OBS while at college, and she called me tonight to report that the climate control fan is not working all of the time. The past three days she has driven the car, and the fan seems to work every once in awhile.[...]

When the blower doesn't work, check whether it's inoperative at each of the speeds. There's a multi-section blower motor resistor that sometimes develops a bad connection; if the blower consistently works at the highest speed but not lower ones, the cause might be that resistor. Other possibilities are intermittent contacts on the switch, wiring problems, etc.

If even the highest speed is intermittent, examine the blower motor relay.