Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thoughts - let me do all of that for far less. i'll do it for half the dealer cost.

maryland dealer quoted my cousin $699 for a timing belt change. $1,400 is way high. i did it for her for far less. a timing belt costs about $70, water pump not much more so they're making some serious loot for a couple hours of work. but you also have to make sure you're comparing apples to apples...is that just the water pump and timing belt or does that include any tensioners or timing belt pulleys? that should also include the oil pump seals and checking the oil pump backing plate screws while they're in there, it's right behind the timing belt, which as you can guess must come off to install a new belt!

$600 for rear pads and rotors is definitely rediculous. unless you have vibration when braking, you only need the rear pads. yes they'll give you some BS horror story, but there's no way your soob needs new rotors unless something really crazy happened. rear pads are less than a $100 and take about 30 minutes to install...so you do the math, they're making about $1000 per hour. and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't replace the rotors, but charged you for them since yours are fine. but...even if they did replace them that's still too much.

$600 for valve cover gaskets and wires also seems way high. are these the right figures and are you including everything they're including? seems outrageous, but i guess that's why some of the DC area mechanics make 6 figures.

Got any details? Labour rate, parts included. The timing belt itself isn't too bad but if the idlers and the tensioner need replacing then you just added almost $800 to that job. I was starting to think I might be too picky on condeming them but I had a bunch that blew idlers (taking valves, cam pulleys, 1 oil pump housing, timing covers) after having a belt only job done by general service shops.

after having a belt only job done by general service shops.
dealers do "belt only" jobs as well, so make sure you're getting what you want no matter where the service is getting done. do not assume dealers will do the best in your situation with what you want. when i do someone's timing belt i explain to them that on a 60,000 mile belt it may be okay to replace the water pump and pulleys every other change. then i explain that on a 100,000 mile belt you're asking the water pump and pulleys to make it to 200,000 miles if you don't replace them with the belt. that's more risky than i'd want to personally be, particularly on an interference engine, but the ultimate decision is up to them. i can replace just the belt, only the pulleys that are noisey or feel bad, or replace them all.

2000 OBW, 100K. Dealer quoted $1,400 to replace timing belt and water pump; $600 to replace valve cover gaskets and plug wires; $600 to replace rear pads and rotors. Seems high. Thoughts? Located in Northern Virginia.

Is that quote from Stolhman's in Tyson's, their parts and labor prices are outragous. Sheey Subaru in Springfield is a little less I paid about $1,000 for timing belt, water pump, and tenninsioners abotu a year back. There are a few other decent independent shops in the area too. All this stuff is expensive in this area, noone around here knows anything about the work being done so they can get away with charging anything.

i'd suggest starting with $600 as a base for a timing belt change. someone just this week had a timing belt installed for $275, but we'll shoot high for $600. add in the costs of the water pump and tensioner pulleys on top of that, price them online with the crank and cam seals and see what the $600 timing belt plus parts comes out to. compare that to the $1,400. they may not have included all the same parts in the first quote. similar to the old bait and switch marketing tactic.

I just had a timing belt replaced on a 1998 Legacy by Subaru dealer shop.

They replaced leaking cam seal or crank seal (I don't remember which)along with a leaking O ring and the timing belt plus oil change and filter for $300.

I'm located in southwesten Virginia.

Your shop must have more work that they want or something ?

dealers do "belt only" jobs as well, so make sure you're getting what you want no matter where the service is getting done. do not assume dealers will do the best in your situation with what you want.

Too true. A lot depends on the man at the counter and the tech in the back. Some guys will check the flat rate book and say t-belt 2.2 hrs. ... t-belt tensioner 2.2 hrs. ... that will be 4.4 hrs at $80 an hour please.

To be fair about the idlers years ago I wouldn't have had the experience to check them as thoroughly as I do now. You learn the weak points of what you see the most of.

Are you a dealer guy or an independant Subie guy Gary?