Ultimate Subaru Message Board

specific hill holder Q

so ive searched and such but i cant find exactly what im looking for.Anyways, ive adjusted the hill holder cable on my loyale. Ive loosened it quite a bit but it still does not release the brakes till the clutch is ALL the way out. As in just before my foot is off the petal. This makes it even harder to pull out than normal. There is a way of not using the holder by not pressing down on the brakes all the way, but thats just kind of annoying having to do that. I rather have the hill holder work and work the way its suppose to. Maybe my clutch is not adjusted properly? Do i need to keep loosening the hill holder cable? any ideas?

If you have more room to adjust it out, yes you should be able to loosen it more until it releases where you want. I have mine set so it releases right before the clutch starts to drag, this way if I want the HH to stop holding the car I just let the clutch out a bit but it still doesn't move the car by means of engine power.

If you loosen it up all the way and it still catches, check to make sure

the hill holder mechanism isn't sticking and the spring is attached of course.

Usually the proper adjustment is where you can just see a little light between

the springs coils. Maybe the cable is sticking. Make sure it dosen't have any

kinks or harsh bends in it.

The HH 's return spring is the only return spring for the

clutch cable.

I first disconnect the HH cable, I then substitute a small spring to act as the return spring.

Then measuring pedal freeplay inside the car I adjust the clutch cable to provide about 1/2 inch freeplay.

Replace the HH cable and set it to just provide return for the

release fork and test drive.

Hope this helps

Okay after reading your quick response i went wild loosening it with a ratchet wrench:banana: and it seems to adjust where i want now.:clap:

I was just kind of woried about if loosening too much would wear out the clutch throwout bearing. Im not sure why everybody wants to get rid of the HH feature. It seems handy when it works right. My other car doesnt have this feature, so i hope i dont get in it one day and expect it to work the same. Thanks again for the quick respose.