Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 overheating

Hey,

EA81 new water pump (1k), overheating after about 15 minutes of mellow driving. The radiator cap and body is cool, lots of pressure in the radiator. The water pump is really hot, but the coolent line from the radiator to the water pump is cool at the radiator end. Sometimes revving the engine hard will clear up the problem. I figure I have a clogged radiator, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to de-clogg? Or is it basically replacement time? Also any leads on new radiators in the NW Washington area?

Man, this unseasonably cold and snowy weather sure is nice up here. Makes me glad I have a soobie to scoot around. As long as I don't blow my engine, that is..

Ok, Thanks guys. I will replace the Tstat and let you know how that works out.

As far as toasting the engine- I have had it get just to the red on a couple of occasions before I pulled over and shut it off. Does anybody have an opinion as to wether I have caused any damage already? I know these EA81's are tough, are they susceptible to heat damage if the guage is just at the red briefly?

Sticking T.stat or one loose fan wire causing overheating are the only ways( yes a few times) to blow a head gasket, maybe make your lifters too hot and they stick and tick loud as f***. Overheating is the number one way I have managed to mess up an EA series motor. Actually, the only way so far.

Yeah, I changed the thermostat with on that I got from NAPA and it seems to have done the trick. After a 5 min warmup and a 10 mile drive (mixed town/freeway) the temp guage went right up to the mid point and stayed there.

I think this is a done deal, but I will monitor my temp religiously from now on...

Thanks all, and if you live in NW Washington, look for more snow soon!

p.s. Frank B, is that NAPA brand t-stat a P.O.S.?

Bummer! I guess I should have done a little more homework. The one I replaced was a NAPA brand....with another NAPA brand!

Well, I will grab a T-stat from the dealer soon (like tommorrow). Its such an cheap and easy thing to do, and good insurance for not blowing an EA81. I freegin love these engines! They really keep the speeding tickets down.:burnout:

Also, does anyone know approximately when the radiator fan should kick on? After test driving today I noticed the fan didn't come when the temp guage was half way up. It is cool outside right now (35 degrees), just wondering what you guys think. thanks..

Bring on the snow!

There's no substitute for the dealer t-stat's. It's not worth saving the $5 IMO.

GD

Ahh, so my bunk thermostat WAS a NAPA brand. I swapped the bunk NAPA brand tstat with another NAPA.

Oh well, I will get a dealer thermostat and put that in there. Its cheap insurance to keep my EA81 running cool. I freegin love these engines. They really keep the speeding tickets to a minimum..

Does anybody know aproximately when the radiator fan ought to come on? Today the temp guage was at midpoint, no fan action. It is cool outside (35 degrees). Just wondering...

Bring the snow!!