Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok I changed the knock sensor on my 98 brighton EJ22, the old one had the white connector and was not cracked at all but did have some rust on the bottom, should I worry about my check engine light coming back, since I have some buzzing coming from a cat sheild.

Thanks guys,

Ian

It is always noisy, I'm changing the oil this weekend and will replace my Motorcraft synthetic blend 10w30 with some 10w40 oil and see if it helps.
It is probably not piston slap then, because the slap usually goes away, or becomes less noticable as the engine warms up. It could be the hydraulic cam followers (lifters). If you have the time, you should pull them and soak then in a cleaner then re-prime them. If that doesn't work, then you will need to replace them. When you change oil this weekend, see if you can find some Marvel Mystery Oil and add that to the change. If the lifters are sticking, it will help free them.

lifters eh? that dont sound too fun, can i just leave them as is? the car performs fine the knocking noise sounds "larger" than valvetrain noise i like to think. either way when it goes in for a timing belt i will have them checked out.

Also are there any good subie shops in the nyc area that you have heard of?

thank for your continued diligent dessimation of knowledge it is greatly appreciated

:)

Ian

Piston slap in post '96 EJ22 is not as common as the EJ25 piston slap, but not unheard of.

In '97 they shortened the piston skirts, this is the cause of the pistion slap in the 22's and 25's.

Also in '97 they went to solid lifters so the noise is not HVLA noise. If the valve are way out of adjustment they would make noise but more likely than not it is piston slap.

I have worked on a couple EJ22's with piston slap worse than any EJ25 I've ever heard, and no it doesn't always go away.

Piston slap in post '96 EJ22 is not as common as the EJ25 piston slap, but not unheard of.

In '97 they shortened the piston skirts, this is the cause of the pistion slap in the 22's and 25's.

Also in '97 they went to solid lifters so the noise is not HVLA noise. If the valve are way out of adjustment they would make noise but more likely than not it is piston slap.

I have worked on a couple EJ22's with piston slap worse than any EJ25 I've ever heard, and no it doesn't always go away.

Thanks for that input, my experience with EJ22s ends at the 95 model year. One of the hardest things to do is to diagnose a problem by what is posted here on the board. The best way is to do it in person. Having lived through several EA82's, I know the valve train noise can make the worst noise you have ever heard, it can sound like the engine will come apart at any second, so I would discredit valve train noise so quickly.

Pitstain, if you are still planning to change the oil this weekend, try the Mystery Oil, it can not hurt your engine, and may even improve mileage. If it doesn't solve this problem, it will still do good things for your engine. Money well spent, and if it works, you'll know what it was.

Yes, fully collapsed(sp?) lifters in an EA82 can very much sound like bottom end noise.

Collapsed(sp?) lifers in a EJ22 sound a lot different. I dissmissed hydrolic lifter noise due to the fact that a '98 EJ22 doesn't have hydrolic lifters.

True, internet and phone diagnoises can never be guaranteed. But in the last 10+ years of wrenching, the last 5 sepcalizing in Subaru repair, I'll take another stab at it. Listen at vavle covers with a stethascope, then listen at top of block above all 4 cylinders. If it is piston slap I'll bet #4 is the loudest. If it is valve train noise someone has been in there doing somthing to change the valve adjustment and didn't get it right.

Yes, fully collapsed(sp?) lifters in an EA82 can very much sound like bottom end noise.

Collapsed(sp?) lifers in a EJ22 sound a lot different. I dissmissed hydrolic lifter noise due to the fact that a '98 EJ22 doesn't have hydrolic lifters.

True, internet and phone diagnoises can never be guaranteed. But in the last 10+ years of wrenching, the last 5 sepcalizing in Subaru repair, I'll take another stab at it. Listen at vavle covers with a stethascope, then listen at top of block above all 4 cylinders. If it is piston slap I'll bet #4 is the loudest. If it is valve train noise someone has been in there doing somthing to change the valve adjustment and didn't get it right.

Sounds like a good diaognostic plan, but you don't need a stethascope, you can you a long screw driver, just place one end against the engine in the area you want to listen to, and the other end (preferably the handle LOL) against your ear. I used that technic long before I ever got a stethascope.

I do have a few more years that you do wrenching, but like I said, my experience with the EJ22s ends at the 95 model year, I haven't worked on any newer then that.

Well guys I took it to my guys at Jifflyboob and handed them a quart of Lucas sythetic oil stabilizer, and had them fill the rest with standard 10w30 pennzoil.....I have to say my noise had dimished greatly once warmed up, and my mileage also went WAY up, I did 230 miles to PA. and got maybe 20MPG and post oilchange on the way home 230 miles i made about 28MPG....:banana:

she still smokes like a bitoch once parked after getting off the highway, but that is expected since the cat gets soaked by the slow oil leak.