Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another pricing/value question

Ok, so any and all imput on this on is welcome...... That said, I'm trying to find out what everyone thinks is a good selling price for my wagon should i decide to sell her to aquire a Brat or hatch.... Here's some details, along with a few pics which you guys have probably already seen.

80 wagon, clean title with 100k original miles. The body is in great shape, except a few tiny chips (maybe 3 or 4) and a dent on the fender. The tires are in good shape, though i'l probably upgrade them to 14's with some bigger tires before i sell it. The interior is good. The carpet in the back has been taken out and i replaced it with a do it yourself bedliner. (it looks good and it's pretty good quality). The dash is cracked as usual, but its got a dash mat. The front seats have the usual wear and tear, but the rear ones are perfect. They are the blue plaid. um... its got a push bar and a standard roof rack and a skid plate....as for the engine and all, it runs well. It overheated once, but never since then (i was goign up a REALLY long hill in 1st and going a little fast for the gear.) it has a sticky rear rotar which makes a noise the first time you apply the breaks after you start it, but then doesnt make noise again. i think thats it.. here's a couple of pics, let me know what you think its worth. Especially West coasters....thanks alot!!S5030049.jpg

S5030046.jpg

S5030047.jpg

p.s., the car isnt rusty at all, just dirty.. the paint is pretty good, though the pics make it look bad

Sadly the 80/81 with the 1600 single range isn't very desireable. Due to the nature of folks looking for EA81's, they are almost always looking for off-road capable toys. Being that it's got no D/R, and isn't capable of supporting one without changing both the engine and tranny..... its essencially a body to most of the would be buyers. The color is also ugly as hell :lol:

But being that it runs nice and looks halfway decent, I would say you could probably command $200 to $400 to the right buyer. Probably not what you want to hear, but you'll get all kinds of repsponses from folks to the effect of:

"yah, dat's nice, and it's way worth $1000..... wish I had the moneys for dat one! WOOT!".... :Flame:

.....yeah that's the basic theme. When it comes to money where the oral cavity resides - you'll find a lot smaller audience I'm afraid.

GD

Right, I have a 84 2wd 3at gl sedan that isn't worth $20 to most soob guys and girls. But to some dude on the street here, its a running car that drives nice. Its woth $500 here. Probally dump it for 3. Uninformed buyer here is going to be your best shot. 4x4 soob that looks nice and runs good. Regular people will like it more that the soob community, I think.

i'm with GD's price range. if your market is small, i'd say closer to the $200 range. if you have a large metropolitan market place, maybe the higher end. if you're willing to sell this thing and tout the fact that it has no timing belt to fail...someone who needs inexpensive and reliable transportation might foot $500 or so. i've found people will buy oil leaking seives and banged up cars for $500 so long as it's going to get them somewhere without breaking down.