Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone has a link that could explicitly tell me the differences between different model years of legacy. I suppose that the most important thing is to know whether or not I can pull body parts from a 95 and put them on a 97. The issue is that I think the center diff is going dead from the PO putting a junkyard tire on the rear when 1 of them blew out. The tire is visibly a different diameter. I have corrected this but I don't think it will last. The car has several other issues and I think it will cost more to repair my current car than to repair the 97 I am looking at on ebay since that one doesn't have any mechanical or electrical problems, just body damage. Yah, I'm done :clap:

Thanks

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone has a link that could explicitly tell me the differences between different model years of legacy. I suppose that the most important thing is to know whether or not I can pull body parts from a 95 and put them on a 97. The issue is that I think the center diff is going dead from the PO putting a junkyard tire on the rear when 1 of them blew out. The tire is visibly a different diameter. I have corrected this but I don't think it will last. The car has several other issues and I think it will cost more to repair my current car than to repair the 97 I am looking at on ebay since that one doesn't have any mechanical or electrical problems, just body damage. Yah, I'm done :clap:

Thanks

www.cars101.com

nipper

i saw it to , did you ask the seller alot of questions before bidding , ? it would be a good parts car in my opinion, i got one off ebay a few weeks ago , it turned out that it needs alittle work ,+ parts, ,that the seller forgot to tell me ,but nothing major , if you win the auction , before paying for it ,drive it , do a complete inspection , because not all ebay sellers are honest

Yes I asked several questions prior to bidding (I haven't bid yet) and found out that it is a 5 speed trans (Woohoo!!!) and that it isn't showing any warning lights on the dash (according to the seller) they also said that it doesn't shutter while turning and that there doesn't seem to be any noise coming from the wheel areas.

if you buy it and decide to part the rest ,let me know,

I will probably be parting the 95 after I'm done with it. Prices would be cheap since everything needs attention. Like EJ22 $50. But this won't be happening for a few weeks at least. I have to get my truck running before I could ever think of tearing my current legacy apart.

i realize the 97 is newer and probably fewer miles, but i'm not a body person. i find it easier to swap the mechanics than to make body repairs. plus, unless the 97 has a clean title, resale may be an issue.

there are only minor differences , if any, between 95 and 97. one of the things they changed was to add a "bolt" to the lower part of the rear door jamb. it extends into the door when closed to help keep it from opening in an accident. better crash test rating. the 97 door will fit a 95 but not the other way around, unless you remove the bolt. it looks like it just threads out.

i'd use the 97 to make the 95 good. you can swap all of the interior, trans , axels, hubs even engine. just my opinion.

If that pic that was posted is the '97, it is not just a matter of swapping body parts from your '95 to fix it. None of the body in the back are bolt on parts.

I know that, I was planning on drilling the spot welds and cutting back the seam on one of the pieces about half way to give me a lip to weld to. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I will be getting the 97. It's not worth it to me to spend over $400 on a parts car when that is how much I bought the car I currently have running and driving for.