Ultimate Subaru Message Board

going to look at a brat today

im thinking about going to look at an 83 brat today. The kid says it DID run recently, but the tranny was grinding. now all of a suddent it doesnt run anymore. Assuming a can figure out why its not running, how hard is it to aquire a tranny for the truck, and how hard is it to swap it in? Would the tranny from my 81 brat be able to work? Also, which is the DESIREABLE brat model in 83? Any thoughts on what i should look for other than the usualy rust, etc? any finally what would you pay for a brat in OK exterior shape needing the new tranny? (i havent seen the inside, so i cant comment on it). Thanks a ton- perhaps i'll have a new brat to show off when i get home!!

Here are some pictures from the ad....i'll take more when i go...

8kaW8HC5hUq59zXRX13tm6Yj0w2y.jpg

IS7T55GN4qcsmNjqMt609cME8Js4.jpg

Rv9h5zVByNtVMzcdI1eOOLfHfDz8.jpg

RY7GlDkMIzY0PAGVlbUjcv23rwc8.jpg

Anyone know how much the tranny would cost and if they are easily attainable?

My brat is an 83 model and I love it to death. I got it for $900 and it had a rebuilt motor, rebuilt tranny, etc. My biggest pet peev is electrical issues, they are a pain to find and definetely can help you get a better deal, not to mention the bad tranny in the one you are going to look at. If it has the seats then it would be hard to pass up. Hope you take alot of pictures.

im still getting rid of it. in fact if i get this other brat, i'll probably be trying to get rid of it asap. But its still not i nteh kind of shape i wanted it to be in to sell it. It's still all torn appart and needs alot of work. Anyone in Sacramento want to go with me to look at this brat today?? I wish i had a phone number for TheSubaruJunkie cuz i hate wandering around sac alone, its boring....

im still getting rid of it. in fact if i get this other brat, i'll probably be trying to get rid of it asap. But its still not i nteh kind of shape i wanted it to be in to sell it. It's still all torn appart and needs alot of work. Anyone in Sacramento want to go with me to look at this brat today?? I wish i had a phone number for TheSubaruJunkie cuz i hate wandering around sac alone, its boring....

They ever re-admit him?

i really want to get thesubarujunkies phone number before i head down there.... i have my new soob with me, so i cant even tow the brat home. i dont want to get there and really want it and now be able to bring it home. i need someone in sacramento who can tow it for me!!!

Well, i went and looked at the car. The kid had it running, but then all of a sudden it doesnt run any more. he got the alternator and the started tested because when you try and start it it just goes "click click", but both were good. The paint is pretty shot, so it will probably end up with a rattle can camo job. The interior isnt BAD, but the seats do have covers. It looks like there were rodents in the engine bay though, which wories me..... PLUS there are back fees on it with DMV. I'm gonig to go to DMV tomorrow and try to negotiate the fees down a bit. If i can do that, then i think i'm going to get the car, as long as i can find someone on here with a tranny for it.....

Have fun with the DMV. Thay won't give a inch on back fees! The California DMV always trys to squeeze every penny they can get out of you. Good luck!:grin:

Well, i went and looked at the car. The kid had it running, but then all of a sudden it doesnt run any more. he got the alternator and the started tested because when you try and start it it just goes "click click", but both were good. The paint is pretty shot, so it will probably end up with a rattle can camo job. The interior isnt BAD, but the seats do have covers. It looks like there were rodents in the engine bay though, which wories me..... PLUS there are back fees on it with DMV. I'm gonig to go to DMV tomorrow and try to negotiate the fees down a bit. If i can do that, then i think i'm going to get the car, as long as i can find someone on here with a tranny for it.....