Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC kicks on when defrost is selected?

86 GL Wagon EA82. Just did the Weber conversion and I'm noticing that the AC kicks on when I select defrost with the temp selector on hot? Is that normal? It also kicks on when AC is selected and doesn't for the other selections.

I'm wondering if I have a vacuum line plumbed incorrectly or something.

You have to do a little custom fab work to make the AC idle-up solenoid work correctly with the weber. It's just one of those things....

GD

Can you give me a hint? :confused:

I have a torch, some baling wire, several rolls of duct tape, and some JB Weld so I should have my bases covered.

Well - if you installed the Weber in the same basic config as the Hitachi, then the idle up should be to the right of the carb attached to the manifold. You will have to "adjust" the mounting so that it can actuate the lever as it was originally intended to do. I used some washers under the bracket, and I did some cutting to the mounting holes on the bracket so the solenoid would move up a bit more. A also welded a bolt to the arm of the solenoid to get it futher forward and to the left so it hits the throttle arm correctly.

GD

Or, increase idle manually by 150 RPM in the summer and unplug the wire at the AC compressor in the winter so that you don't have the load of the AC compressor pulling down on the engine when you want defrost....which works with just heat alone just not quite as effectively.

Well - if you installed the Weber in the same basic config as the Hitachi, then the idle up should be to the right of the carb attached to the manifold. You will have to "adjust" the mounting so that it can actuate the lever as it was originally intended to do. I used some washers under the bracket, and I did some cutting to the mounting holes on the bracket so the solenoid would move up a bit more. A also welded a bolt to the arm of the solenoid to get it futher forward and to the left so it hits the throttle arm correctly.

GD

I don't suppose you have a picture of that setup? I trashed a couple of the solenoids that were in that general area, so hopefully a trip to the junkyard isn't in my future.

Thanks.

Or, increase idle manually by 150 RPM in the summer and unplug the wire at the AC compressor in the winter so that you don't have the load of the AC compressor pulling down on the engine when you want defrost....which works with just heat alone just not quite as effectively.

You *could* do a lot of things manually, but it really doesn't make for a nice vehicle to drive, and in this case it's beneficial to run the AC compressor year round in order to circulate the compressor oil.

I'll get you a pic of mine.... probably tommorow. It took maybe all of an hour to make it work.

GD