Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 outback miss at 1000 - 1500 rpm

Still trying to decide whether to buy this car. 99 outback with 43,000 miles on it.

The engine seems to idle ok but just off idle from about 1000 to 1500 rpm it runs rough as heck...even shakes the body.

Runs strong on the highway and seems to run smooth in neutral above 2000 rpm.

Any ideas?

Since I don't own it yet... I'm not going to mess with it. Wondering about the possibilities though. From Car Fax report it appears this vehicle may have set for some time.

Would you expect plugs or wires with only 43K miles on the car? Also, if it were the MAF sensor wouldn't it affect the engine at all speeds and loads. This car has good power but misses at very light throttle in gear or as I said between 1K and 2K RPM out of gear.

I don't want to get burned on this one. I'm well prepared now for the head gasket possibilities.

Any other ideas?

Would you expect plugs or wires with only 43K miles on the car?
Yes, unless it has the dohc the plug change interval is 30k or 30 months.
Also, if it were the MAF sensor wouldn't it affect the engine at all speeds and loads.
I'm not sure as I haven't experienced this issue. It seems I remember some similiar issues in other posts having something to do with the MAF. The knock sensor sometimes has a tendancy to crack or go weird with age on these things though I don't know it would cause what you're experiencing. Engine coolant temp sensor is another thing seen frequently but that usually causes hard starting.

Can be as simple as a dirty throttle plate. Spark plug and wires are 3/36 but realistically as long as the car is running fine you go 100K with them

Since this car is running rough i would suggest a tuneup (which is the norm when you buy a used car anyway).

nipper