Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well not much bad to say about my car and i always called her a tank, but there is an issue that has started this past couple of weeks that has got me wondering whats going on

first the car is a 94 legacy l auto tranny fwd..

when the car is first used the tranny doesnt seemm to like to shift into final gear. although i cruise along at about 60 on the interstate, my rpms are around 3. the car is clearly struggling and any push on the gas sends the rpms spinning up with no real acceleration. eventually the car lurches forward, the rps whine down to about 2500 or so and my speed stays the same. some side notes

i routinely change all oils including tranny and diff (front). the colors are always very pink (tranny) and the diff is always clear with that distinguished smell. there are no smells comming from the car after driving on interstate with rpms at 3000 for 15 or so minutes. the fluid levels are all in check and i let the car warm up before driving (remote start).

i have no idea as to what the problem may be, but any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (when i searched online i found information that said something about fluid that may not run throughout the tranny until a certain temp, etc. but i have driven this car in cold weather before without issue)

thanks again

-ali

if you have an owners manual it should describe the transmission not shifting into 4th gear until it reaches a certain temperature. if you don't have the owners manual, then just follow along with what Manarius just said. if it only does it for the first 10-15 minutes at most and then shifts fine after that, then this is what it is doing. it may be a little rough around the edges doing it due to age but it's probably mostly normal. if you feel this isn't it, then keep it coming maybe there's something else. and it may be that you never actually drove it in weather that was cold enough to do that. if it's ever garaged, that may keep it warm enough to prevent it from doing that.

did you do multiple changes of the ATF or have it flushed? one change only gets about 1/3 of the fluid out. but if it's pink, sounds good.

well its good to hear that it may be normal, but it just might be the fact i have never had it "wait" so long until it warms up.

also, to answer you question i change the trans oil only (never flushed) and i try to get it done at least every change every 6 months or so( like winter --> summer) the car use to be in a garage, but not anymore.

thanks for the replies

-ali

well its good to hear that it may be normal, but it just might be the fact i have never had it "wait" so long until it warms up.

[...]the car use to be in a garage, but not anymore.

As has been said, the trans is designed to not upshift to top gear until it has warmed sufficiently. Not that there couldn't be a problem developing, but what you just said may be the key to what's happening; if the car is getting colder than usual, it will take longer to reach the temp at which fourth gear is allowed. In addition, using a remote starter to "warm up" the car doesn't do much for things beyond the engine -- the trans may benefit slightly, but the diffs, etc. are going to still be cold and have thickened lube. Also, the trans fluid itself expands and contracts with temperature changes, and when cold it's both somewhat more viscous and lower in volume, which can affect operation.

So, if the cold acceleration is sluggish, that could be normal. Whether the torque converter is locked or not could be the difference you feel. However, if you see a large engine RPM flare when trying to accelerate but get no significant gain in road speed, that would indicate slippage.

EDIT -- See this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70806

• 2 weeks later...

here is just an update which may sound a little wierd

i got my muffer and attached pipe replaced since there was an exhaust leak from a recently broken end pipe (one of the two exhaust pips from muffler broke off from rust). after this was changed the overall running of the car improved (idle and such) and the noise from the car when cold and holding a higher rpm was reduced drastically.

was this sound and feeling contributed from the problem with the exhaust?? i find it hard to believe, and ive noticed the rpms still remain high when cold, but the drop when shifting and etc is not as noticable as before i think because the sound that usually accompanying it has been removed.

any thoughts? and thank for the info about the binding... which got me worried