Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I am on the path to trying to diagnose a water leak in my 2001 Forester, the floors are wet on both rear floors and on the drivers side floor (but only sometimes). The worse of the spots is the passenger sided rear floor, and the floors are only we at there lowest points. I brought it into my mechanic and he checked the back for any water in the spare tire compartment and check the rear tail lights as was suggested here before on a previous post, all dry! Also he checked under the car to make sure all plugs were in place. He pointed out to me some wear spots starting to form on the rubber about 1/2 and inch away from the rear and front passenger windows they are very small about an inch in length and not even a quarter of an inch wide, I am not sure how to explain the wear marks I guess it is the rubber breaking down but it does not appear to have gone all the way through the rubber. Anyway my mechanic says that is the only spot he can think that the water is coming in from. Does this sound plausable to anyone? Also is there some kind of sealant I can get to put on those spots to test to see if that is where the water is coming from before I buy all new door seals?:confused:

Thanks again for everyones help, you have been great!!!!:D

I am on the path to trying to diagnose a water leak in my 2001 Forester, the floors are wet on both rear floors and on the drivers side floor (but only sometimes).[...]

You might try a trip through a car wash, with a friend or family member in each seat near a door as observer. There are adjustments for glass positioning should you find any obvious entry points, although if there is definite wear the weatherstripping may have to be replaced.