Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got a 2000 outback 50k,that about a couple months ago I noticed ,was losing

coolant level from the reserve,but couldnt find any leaks,so I topped it off.

Then yesterday found the little puddle of green stuff.

Checked it again,and the level was near empty in the reserve,and found where it was collecting,but dont know the exact source.

Itll stop dripping when the motor is off,it isnt a 24/7 thing as far as the cardboard test will tell.

It seems to be getting around the center area behind the skidplate where there are a couple bolts below a finned object [part of transmission?]of which is getting wet wih green stuff.What are the possible sources?,because i cant see any indication from above where this is coming from?? thanks

The dreaded head gasket leak on that year model leaks from the rear cylinder on the driver's side. Make sure you had the coolant additive done under the extended warranty which is good for 8 years and/or 100,000 miles. If you didn't have the stop-leak additive, then go get it FREE. After a few weeks, if it still leaking, go back in and report the leak and let SOA replace your headgaskets FREE. If it is leaking, it is also doubtful that the stop-leak stuff will work in the long run.

Im not the original owner and have no warranty.but I added the stop leak stuff a few months ago anyway.the original owner did the recall thingie back in 2003/4 under his original warranty.

at this point,should I bother going to a dealership or just go local garage? thanks

Im not the original owner and have no warranty.but I added the stop leak stuff a few months ago anyway.the original owner did the recall thingie back in 2003/4 under his original warranty.

at this point,should I bother going to a dealership or just go local garage? thanks

If your car meets the conditions given in the link below, by all means go to a dealer or call Subaru of America. You have little to loose, and may get the repair for free, or at least at a significant discount. Don't "cave in" easily; if they give you a hard time, tell them that even as a second owner you have the right to expect a certain level of quality in a Subaru, and that's why you bought one. It would probably help if you have proof of the original owner having previously done the proper thing.

See: http://www.snedcs.com/dcsmain/service/WWP_subnet2-5-04.htm

By the way, to meet the terms of the campaign, the "coolant conditioner" should be Subaru's own, and not some generic "stop leak".

Bingo,my mechanic just gave me the bad news,and,coming from the drivers side rear cylinder,here we go....ahh ,at least it was a good 7 months trouble free :rolleyes: .

He put the GM head gasket stuff that looks like wafers or plugs that dissolves and crystallizes in about a week.He say if this dont do it,nothing can,best he`s ever seen, etc.

Looks like Im gonna call up 1 800 subaru and say wtf?

LOL. I've heard of that GM stuff. Back when they started building the Northstar engines, had problems with porosity of the aluminum blocks or something. I remember an old guy saying he had to give his car pills.:lol:

See It's not just Subaru who has problems. Every car maker has bones in their closet.

Any problem with replacing just 1 headgasket? I can't think of any.

Does the problem get progressively worse and how quickly, if so? Seems to me leaks have a way of getting worse too rapdily.

LOL. I've heard of that GM stuff. Back when they started building the Northstar engines, had problems with porosity of the aluminum blocks or something. I remember an old guy saying he had to give his car pills.:lol:

See It's not just Subaru who has problems. Every car maker has bones in their closet.

No theres not really anything wrong with just doing one. Will be more money in the long run if you have to do the other side later.

Both sides do leak. The worst of it is the drivers side rear. Some leak really bad, some just seep. Some seem to leak oil. Well have been told it looks like oil but tasts like antifreeze. Probably a little of both. IMO if it is coming from the head gasket, the head gasket needs to be replaced, I don't care to tast it. Mostly when the passeger head starts to leak it looks more like oil than antifreeze and is worse toward the front. The heads are intercangeable, so this coresponds somewhat with the drivers side leak. Still speculating on this. Have been trying to help as many people as possible get these taken care of under warranty, so haven't tore into a lot of them. I'm sure I will soon enough. Will be taking one apart that I have sitting in the shop, to get pictures and start a SOHC head gasket thread.

OK Billyboy, it seems that if the recall campaign was performed for your vehicle, just drive right to Subaru and have them replace the HGs. The car is warranteed not the owner. The warrantee is transferrable. It's not necessary to indicate all of the other "information" about things that were done since then. Tell all that sort of "information" stuff to your spiritual counselor. Do you really think SOA is telling you ALL of their "information"?;)

OK Billyboy, it seems that if the recall campaign was performed for your vehicle, just drive right to Subaru and have them replace the HGs. The car is warranteed not the owner. The warrantee is transferrable. It's not necessary to indicate all of the other "information" about things that were done since then. Tell all that sort of "information" stuff to your spiritual counselor. Do you really think SOA is telling you ALL of their "information"?;)

You know this fer sure,or you just joshin` me?:lol:

the medicine does look like its working tho,will see in a couple weeks.

if all is good ,should I still pursue a warranty solution anyways ?

You betcha, I'd have drugged that Subie by the nostrils right in for the new HGs... come to think of it... I already did that with my 2000 and feel more secure in regards the future:banana:.

Nobody is guaranteeing anything, but did you read my post #4 in this thread and what I linked to in that post? The more "stuff" you throw at the problem and the longer you wait before asking a dealer or SoA about it, the lower your chance of getting Subaru to cover things is likely to be. If you don't mind my asking, why the reluctance to discuss this with Subaru? (I wouldn't want to have to use one of the smilies near the bottom of the window that opens when you click on "More". :) )

• 2 months later...
You betcha, I'd have drugged that Subie by the nostrils right in for the new HGs... come to think of it... I already did that with my 2000 and feel more secure in regards the future:banana:.

I just pulled apart my '00 obw., it was the driverside back. obvious crack.

but when we reassembled it. to allth ose fancy hookey-pookey moves, it was worse?

could it be that some aftermarket gaskets are just crap>?

they do look alot thinner? the metal is the same, but the impregnation(?) is wayy thin on the new ones!

your thots?

garth

I personally wouldn't use aftermarket for an issue as sensitive as HGs since even SOA original spec failed. Likely aftermarket followed the original spec if anything. I believe there is a difference with the redesigened ones though. Did you have the heads checked by a machine shop for warpage?

I just pulled apart my '00 obw., it was the driverside back. obvious crack.

but when we reassembled it. to allth ose fancy hookey-pookey moves, it was worse?

could it be that some aftermarket gaskets are just crap>?

they do look alot thinner? the metal is the same, but the impregnation(?) is wayy thin on the new ones!

your thots?

garth

I can't tell you anyting about whether the dealership will warranty the head gasket or not, but as for the actual procedure, I can. We get actually a decent number of cars in that year range coming in with leaking head gaskets on the driver side. nearly never does the passenger head gasket go out (except regular ol' old age failure, etc). failing to get the head gasket replaced could cause really bad results: overheating. if you overheat a subaru motor like that, you can score the cylinder walls, then you'll need a new motor or will start to burn oil really badly.

my advice? get the head gasket replaced, and I'd go for a Subaru gasket, regardless of where you get it done. since the timing belt is coming off to do the job, replace that and any idlers/tensioner that are suspect..just good prevention.

~Erik~

Subaru dealer technician