Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a speed 'warning' tone in an '06 WRX?

On a couple of occasions, I've heard a very 'musical' tone at very high speed.(near top speed - I guess)

NOT a velocity I get too often OK? But, I wonder if its a 'whistle' or what? It 'seems' to come from the pass dash/floor area.

Maybe someday I'll try it with the mirrors folded in.

Carl

good thought I think, my first thoughts were windshield wiper arm or mirror.

Its in the 400hz range - just wondering if there was a known 'speed warning' or ?

does it sound like ..

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(car just having fun)

nipper

OK thanx guys. I might be able to more safely test the ideas the next time we have some strong, steady winds.

Driving a new Forester right now, a lonaer while the WRX is getting some work done (2-3 minor warranty issues and wagon-spec STi pink springs and stainless braided brake lines!)

The Forester is very nice, less tranny whine than my wife's H6 OBW but a little more wind noise (they may have the cross bars on the roof rack in the wrong pos. I suppose) and a lot more engine noise under hard acceleration. Seems to handle the corners better than the one I test drove in '03 though.

OH - Ryan at Teape Subaru also showed me a Forester Sports, cool new grill plastic (with a HUGE amount of room behind it for a FMIC - wink,wink) and different rims. Its stripped down a little and I guess aimed at the tuner crowd - sorta a cross bewtween the WRX TR and the STi. Looks good.

If anyone here is in D/FW area, Ryan Taylor is the guy to speak to for dealer service, he's a 'real' soob enthusiast (ask to see his STi tattoo!) and I'm getting prices matched/nearly matched to online prices on my parts AND a significant break on the labor rate AND a LOANER car!!!

Carl