Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Peered into the coolant reservoir and noticed what appear to be blackish deposit on the walls, as per pics. I understand from various threads here that this could be a sign of an internal HG leak. No other symptoms though, temp needle rises to mid-point then doesn't budge till the engine is off, no bubbles in radiator etc. The coolant hasn't been changed in 2 years. Only 56k on the clock. Please say it ain't so.

post-16332-136027620884_thumb.jpg

post-16332-136027620892_thumb.jpg

Peered into the coolant reservoir and noticed what appear to be blackish deposit on the walls, as per pics. I understand from various threads here that this could be a sign of an internal HG leak. No other symptoms though, temp needle rises to mid-point then doesn't budge till the engine is off, no bubbles in radiator etc. The coolant hasn't been changed in 2 years. Only 56k on the clock. Please say it ain't so.

Sometimes a cigar is a cigar.

Clean the tank, service the coolant, and be happy.

nipper

Peered into the coolant reservoir and noticed what appear to be blackish deposit on the walls, as per pics.[...]

Is the tank residue "oily" or "waxy"? Was there an oil sheen on top of the coolant? If not, it makes it less likely that there's a HG problem.

One type of deposit can be from corroded aluminum, so make sure you're using a quality antifreeze of the proper type and level of corrosion inhibitors.

When I first read "Is the residue oily or waxy" I was like WHOA oil in the water?

I'm used to closed deck engines where it's almost always the opposite. But lookin' @ nekkid pics of EJ25's,:eek: I see where this'd be the 1st symptom. Why oh WHY Subaru didn't at least put bolt bosses around the cyls is a mystery.

Being the proud owner of a "new" '97 Leg wagon I'm reading these forums regularly. You guys ROCK :headbang: I have yet to see a question go unanswered. Even my duma$$ ramblings get a response.

Now back on topic WTF would cause a waxy residue? Is it like the waxy buildup on a bald guy's head?:-\

When I first read "Is the residue oily or waxy" I was like WHOA oil in the water?

I'm used to closed deck engines where it's almost always the opposite. But lookin' @ nekkid pics of EJ25's,:eek: I see where this'd be the 1st symptom. Why oh WHY Subaru didn't at least put bolt bosses around the cyls is a mystery.

Being the proud owner of a "new" '97 Leg wagon I'm reading these forums regularly. You guys ROCK :headbang: I have yet to see a question go unanswered. Even my duma$$ ramblings get a response.

Now back on topic WTF would cause a waxy residue? Is it like the waxy buildup on a bald guy's head?:-\

hehehehe

Blu a 1997 OBW with no HG issues, if you were to look at my overflow tank, you would think its a steam engine with many blown HG's.

The dirt and filth is because no one ever drians and fills the overflow tank when they service the cooling system. Antifreeze gets yucky and gummy and sticky when exposed to air like that over many years and many miles.

nipper