Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ER27 or EJ22?

figone

Thinking of doing a swap into my EA82 3dr coupe, and was wondering what the general consensus was as to the relative merits of these two engines. Both are available from the local scrapper for the same price (with ecu and harness, fully dressed:banana: ), though the EJ 22 is obviously more common. Which is easier? Flatter torque curve?

Thanks,

Cody

Cody, you will get a lot of opin's on this.

I am sure you know

the ER is just your EA with two more cyl tacked on.

Great engine and it bolts to your transaxle without the

adapter plate. Very nice flat torque curve.

Problem comes to where to put the rad.

Motor mounts are close but so are the EJ's

Wiring - well The ER is much closer to your EA

esp if you have MPFI which I doubt.

but I hope you know your way around wiring diagrams and are

multimeter friendly.

Hope this helps some and good luck.

they would be somewhat similar. but the ER27 is a much bigger motor. probably weighs more, won't fit in your engine bay (as Skip said...what to do with the radiator), etc.

I would (and did...) go with the EJ22. in my experience, it's a more reliable motor. more potential for modification. 200 awhp could be pretty easily done with the stock EJ22 harness (add in a Perfect Power 6 for fuel control). the ER27 is pretty limited in modifications. you could do a complete bottom-up build of it, lower the compression, etc. but you'd still only be able to put a few pounds of boost into it....and you'd have a lower compression ratio as a result. the EJ22 can already take that, and the aftermarket possibilities make much more power possible...

the only reason we talked about doing the ER27 swap into my buddies EA82 wagon, was we almost got a donor car for free....