Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing fuel pump 91 Loyale ea82, compatibility?

BCO

I need to replace the rusted and leaking fuel pump on my 91 Loyale wagon and don't want to spend $200 for an OEM pump, so I am looking for options.

First I'll check a few junkyards but the supply of Subarus is not that great.

QUESTION: Will a fuel pump from other Subaru models work on my Loyale, if so what models and years??

I searched the forum and a post suggested using a universal fuel pump, at 3 psi, and recommended a Mr. Gasket brand. I found a Mr. Gasket pump online (amazon) for $30. It is a model 42S electric but the pdf installation instructions stated that it is not for use with any type of fuel injection. The install was basic and straightforward though.

QUESTION: Does any one know of a universal type fuel pump that will work well on my Loyale? Please be as specific as possible with model and where I might find it. Or if I ask at a good parts store what "specs" am I looking for?

Thanks for your help. My wife said I should just get a newer car, but I really want to hang on to my Soob!

I am like, 99% positive that any soob badged "loyale" was SPFI. They MAY have made turbos, and those would naturally be MPFI, but they did NOT make MPFI NA "loyale"s and they did NOT make carbed loyales.

The fuel pump you are talking about will not work; any electronic fuel injection system uses much much higher pressure than a carbed vehicle. The Soob wants a constant supply of 22PSI fuel pressure, and you need to overshoot that and regulate it down to that pressure.. The stock pump is rated at 45PSI.

There is a common retrofit that takes a pump out of a circa 1990 Ford F-150 pickup truck and slips it right into where the stock fuel pump goes. The advantage of this is that the ford pump costs like 60-100 bucks new, and can be had at the JY for a dime a dozen. The ford pump in question is rated at 90PSI output. The pressure regulator shunts any pressure above 22 back into the return line.

I do NOT know if people have had long-term issues with the pressure regulator using this pump; but I do know it has been done many times, so the stock unit should be able to take it no problem. I would wager to say that you could PROBABLY use a fuel pump out of any FI vehicle that had as large or larger engine capacity (which is most :grin:) and find similar results.. but the ford pump even bolts into the stock mounting position, IIRC. Search "ford fuel pump" or something like that, it should turn up.

All Loyales were SPFI. Only the 90 model year had Turbo as an option. But they are rare. RS coupe and some wagon's... I haven't seen a 90 turbo sedan but they probably made a few.

Proper SPFI fuel pressure is 21 psi. Stock pump probably is rated at 45, but all the ones I've tested dead head put out an even 50.

The Ford F-150 pump is your best bet.

GD

Thanks. This is just the type of info I am looking for. A Ford pump should be easy to find. Long term issues are not a big concern. I need to run this car till summer when I get around on 2 wheels mostly. At that point I need to take a hard look and decide if it is worth repairing the rotted body on my Soob. Thanks again to all who replied.

I am like, 99% positive that any soob badged "loyale" was SPFI. They MAY have made turbos, and those would naturally be MPFI, but they did NOT make MPFI NA "loyale"s and they did NOT make carbed loyales.

The fuel pump you are talking about will not work; any electronic fuel injection system uses much much higher pressure than a carbed vehicle. The Soob wants a constant supply of 22PSI fuel pressure, and you need to overshoot that and regulate it down to that pressure.. The stock pump is rated at 45PSI.

There is a common retrofit that takes a pump out of a circa 1990 Ford F-150 pickup truck and slips it right into where the stock fuel pump goes. The advantage of this is that the ford pump costs like 60-100 bucks new, and can be had at the JY for a dime a dozen. The ford pump in question is rated at 90PSI output. The pressure regulator shunts any pressure above 22 back into the return line.

I do NOT know if people have had long-term issues with the pressure regulator using this pump; but I do know it has been done many times, so the stock unit should be able to take it no problem. I would wager to say that you could PROBABLY use a fuel pump out of any FI vehicle that had as large or larger engine capacity (which is most :grin:) and find similar results.. but the ford pump even bolts into the stock mounting position, IIRC. Search "ford fuel pump" or something like that, it should turn up.

• 17 years later...

To bump an old thread back from the dead.  I believe I'm having similar issues and I'm looking at replacing my fuel pump as well.  91 Loyale.  Should I just try and source a 1990 f150 fuel pump new and be able to install that no issues?  I appreciate all the info and help.

Posted (edited)

I only know my own wagon (87 DL) and all I had to do was find a pump that made over 26 PSI since I have a SPFI engine. In those years, the carbed engines used much less pressure and the turbo's needed more so you had extra pump choices to sort through.  I don't know if you could still get a carb on an EA82 in '91 but you probably get my point that not all pumps listed for a Loyal will work if you don't pay attention tp pressures. Way too many sellers don't even list the PSI or flow rate anymore.

Edited by azdave