Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Simple. Stock headlights suck. The '93 Impreza has the glass lenses, but lighting ouput still isn't enough. I drive mostly on back roads and rural highways, and when it's dark, it's DARK.

I'd like to put some driving lights on, but I have absolutely no idea how to mount them. I'm guessing custom mounts. I know I saw on here somewhere where someone made custom mounting brackets that stuck through the grill.:-\ Any ideas?

If not, I'll settle for upgraded headlight bulbs. Sylvania Silverstars are the blue ones, right? And the Xtravisions are clear? I want the clear ones.

I don't have the optional fogs/driving lights below the bumper. Not even sure they were available in '93, but the blanks are there.

Any input welcome. Thanks in advance.

Simple. Stock headlights suck. The '93 Impreza has the glass lenses, but lighting ouput still isn't enough. I drive mostly on back roads and rural highways, and when it's dark, it's DARK.

I'd like to put some driving lights on, but I have absolutely no idea how to mount them. I'm guessing custom mounts. I know I saw on here somewhere where someone made custom mounting brackets that stuck through the grill.:-\ Any ideas?

If not, I'll settle for upgraded headlight bulbs. Sylvania Silverstars are the blue ones, right? And the Xtravisions are clear? I want the clear ones.

I don't have the optional fogs/driving lights below the bumper. Not even sure they were available in '93, but the blanks are there.

Any input welcome. Thanks in advance.

If your nice about using self taping screws, you can use them. I screwed mine right into the bumper skin. I was amazed they held (its been 7 months). The lights came with wall fastners, which i thought was silly until i thuoght about and realized that was an elegant solution.

In the spring im going to take off the bumper skin and use nuts and bolts to attche them better, just for peice of mind.

nipper

Sylvania Silverstars are the blue ones, right? And the Xtravisions are clear? I want the clear ones.

I don't know about the xtravisions but I don't like the silverstars at all. Blue lights suck, I've come to find out. On top of that people claim they last anywhere from 9 to 12 months. It's been probably 9 months for me and they're still working but they don't have the output I was expecting for what I paid.

I don't know about the xtravisions but I don't like the silverstars at all. Blue lights suck, I've come to find out. On top of that people claim they last anywhere from 9 to 12 months. It's been probably 9 months for me and they're still working but they don't have the output I was expecting for what I paid.

I am 14 months into my silver stars with no problems. I personally think that they are more sensative to connection issues. Silverstars are not blue. The blue lights or faxe xenon lights get washed out in the rain.

Personally if i have to buy a new set every year, for the extra light they throw and the extra margin of saftey its well worth it.

nipper

Well, the blue coating decreases total lumen output, so they aren't as bright as they can be with that blue coating. And nipper's right. They wash out in the rain. That and they're blinding to oncoming drivers, at least in my opinion. I know the Xtravisions don't last very long either, but I'm willing to sacrafice longeivity for visability.

Edit: Maybe Silverstars aren't blue....I know there is one Sylvania makes that is the immitation xenon bulb...

I had previously dismissed using the self-tapping screws because I didn't really think that they would hold. Now I'll have to consider it. Is there a lot of shake when the car is running, or are they pretty stable? Thanks.

Dont over tighten them, and use the ones that come with the lights. I drilled pilot holes first then used the screws that came with the hellas.

I was surprised actually, there was no shake at all untill one of the adjusting bolts (not mounting bolts) loosened up.

nipper

I'm not sure on the Impreza but I put driving lights on my Legacy by moving the lower front turn signals to the marker lights next to the headlights. These lights normally just stay on,by adapting the housings to accept an aftermarket connector for dual filament lights. This allowed me to place the the driving lights in front of the mounts for the original turn signals below the bumper. As chance would have it there was a bolt I could remove to mount the new driving lights.

Although they work quite well , especially considering that the headlights are so wimpy, I'd still prefer driving lights to be mounted high, above the bumper. I may make that change by adding another set of larger driving lights. The ones below the bumper are the compact type.It looks like I could extend a mounting braket from behind the lower edge for the grill.