Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All was well with my Forester until tonight. I went to start it cold- Zero here but block heater plugged in, and after a couple click sounds, nothing.I mean the lights went out! I wiggled the battery cable and pop, the security lights(parking lights) come on blinking. So I try again, same scenerio, eveything is dead. Again until my hands began to freeze I wiggle the clean battery cables(tight as a drumm) and same as before, all lights shine brightly, but after atempting to start, dead again.

Anyone have any thoughts? My guess is loose wire somewhere, but I would be happy to have others opinion.

Last fall I put in a brand new Top of the line Napa battery, and I have been given no indication of any problem whatsoever. All the fluids are perfect.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

John

I would clean the battery connections with a battery brush and check the fusible links for a bad connection.

Thanks to you both. Battery connections are immaculate and coated with protector, moreover, I tried it two more times this morning and after repeat of my first post, it started like no problem at all.

I had a friend follow me to the shop and it now awaits diagnosis.

Thanks again.

John

My 92 leg was having starting issues lately. I would try to start it and it would do nothing, no clicks, nothing. The starter needed replaces, I was able to get it done at wholesale so wasn't too bad, around $250. I don't know if that is the same problem you are having, but that was my solution.

er um did you check the voltage in the battery? How old is the battery? Also check your starter connections. Can be the starter thats the issue.

nipper

Battery replaced new last Fall, top of the line Napa. The cable look tight and in great shape. I have replaced a starter on '80s american made, moreover, if memory serves me it did not kill the lights or have any effect on the rest of the car. Perhaps cars have changed even more dramaticaly then I thought. :burnout:

Battery replaced new last Fall, top of the line Napa. The cable look tight and in great shape. I have replaced a starter on '80s american made, moreover, if memory serves me it did not kill the lights or have any effect on the rest of the car. Perhaps cars have changed even more dramaticaly then I thought. :burnout:

If the solenoid contacts are shot, yes they can. Good news is that the contacts can easily be replaced.

nipper

It may be a coincidence, but the fact that you moved the battery cables and the security lights started flashing means to me that connection to power was made somehow. Perhaps the battery has a internal connection problem to the plates and by placing the right movement on the cables made the connection. Measuring the battery voltage at the posts while the trouble is happening will tell the story if that is true or not.