Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bloody flywheel!!!

Uberoo

it appears the shop that was going to mill out my flywheel cant becuase they dont have a 13/32 endmill.Granted I can order one but it might get damaged/dulled by cutting the flywheel.I tried to dremel it out but I didn't get very far and my grinding stone clogged up very fast.Said shop doesnt really want to drill bigger and sleve the holes due to the time involved.So How did you all do it?Or is there a speical grinding stone that grinds away the steel in the EA flywheel away fast?How did you all do it?At present I can't quite pay shipping as well as the 80 bucks that someone was offering to do(mrose?).Oh yea I was using an Orange grinding stone.Should I try the "chainsaw sharpening"ones that are pink?

which grinding stones?Were they the orange 3/8" round ones?I have the dremel.just grinding stones...Mine keept clogging up with iron and wouldnt cut.

yep, that's the one. I remember having some problems with that if I pushed too hard (or maybe too little....). and it did take a long azz time....

a carbide cutting bit sound nice though! I wish I had seen one of those when I was doing this project...

I dont know why I didn't think/do this earlier!I picked up my flywheels (EA&Ej) then I asked the rent a tool place at my college if they had anything that would cut/ovel out holes in steel.They had a metal cutting carbide bit in a air die grinder.It took me about 45 minutes.But I had to stop a few times are get a 15/32 drill bit to put in the center.Then I had to get safety glasses and earplugs(it was loud as all hell,and the safety shield I was using was scratched to s@#$).And finally some carb cleaner and scotch pad to clean the layout paint of.Then I removed the ring gear and flipped it over because the teeth were starting to strip...the cooling of the flywheel added 1.5 hours to the time required,but I now have "new" teeth for the starter to engage to and the flywheel has oveled holes..