Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatachi/ nippendenso ? confused

i went to the auto parts store to order a cap and rotor for my 86 subie gl, the cap i got was the wrong one. they asked if my carburator was a hatache or nippendenso, apperantly its a nippendenso, is a "nd" carb the dreded feedback carb ? , the one that works like crap, which my carb does, and as luck has it, probably only used on the 86 gl any one have any similar knowledge, thanks a bunch

the bright side is that being that you have the denso unit, replacement parts tend to be cheaper...

i have the denso distributor on my 86 d/r

oh yes and make sure that you get the cap from the california model, it will have the much smaller tabs on it that you likely have

They are 100% interchangabe. You just have to change to the corresponding coil, and make sure you hookup the vac can properly.

GD

There is a totally different wiring setup? You would need to rewire to along with swapping the Coils. Believe me I tried. It was a long time ago but there are some wiring differences. This can be obsevred in the FSM for 87

Maybe it's different on the EA81s, but I put a 4wd disty in a 2wd EA82 last year with no problems. I didn't know that the coils were different, I just happened to swap that out too in order to eliminate that possibility. Plugged off the extra vacuum line and it was ok. I may have had to change some wires, but I really can't remember at this point. Whatever it was, it wasn't a big deal, and I had it done in a couple hours.

There is a totally different wiring setup? You would need to rewire to along with swapping the Coils. Believe me I tried. It was a long time ago but there are some wiring differences. This can be obsevred in the FSM for 87

Perhaps you are thinking of the FI distributors. All carb distributors have just two wires to the coil.

GD