Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Impreza, 2.2, 5 speed. Cable and lever move okay. But clutch won't completely disengage. Can't get it into gear while engine is running and clutch pedal is pushed in. Goes into gear fine when engine shut off. Play in lever seems fine with clutch pedal out. What could have bent/broke/shifted? TIA.

Car was driven 5 miles this morning before this happened. Yes, with clutch pedal in and car in 1st gear, when you start the engine it moves forward. There's not 1/2 inch play, but IMHO there's enough. I don't have any tools here at work to try to adjust it further. I didn't check fluid level but I'd bet alot of money it's okay. Drove another 8 miles after this happened with no noises. Slipped the clutch really bad in 3rd at one point to get it moving then drove in 3rd the rest of the way (1 mile). Broken clip shouldn't cause this unless tab of throw out bearing is jammed between fork and pressure plate fingers!

thanks for the rest of the story.

Broken clip shouldn't cause this unless tab of throw out bearing is jammed between fork and pressure plate fingers!

or it allowed the release fork to slip off the pivot point

good luck

Uh...another thing you might want to try if it is the cable clutch...make sure the fork hasn't completely BROKEN IN HALF at the pivot point. I had this happen on my 91 before...shifting really hard, had to rev-shift it most of the way home when it broke. I didn't know it broke in half until I pulled the transmission! Weird problem, easy (yet time consuming) fix and I threw in a new clutch while I was at it.

Not a stretched cable. Mileage is not important. Engine, transmission and clutch just put in (all used) and car has been driven about 1000 miles since then with no issues. It will have to come apart to physically see whats wrong. Possibly once I have it home and can take the boot off I may be able to see down inside and see something. But regardless, it will have to come apart. Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. I'll update this when I find out what it is (may not be till this weekend).

But I don't understand the mechanics of how that prevented the clutch from disengaging completely? There were no signs of any pieces being jammed in anywhere, no marks on the pressure plate, disc or flywheel. Everything looked normal until I took the pressure plate off. One thing, I never did find the piece of metal that was broken off the disc. It must have fallen out the slot in that plate below the housing.