Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 2.2L OBW puking coolant while idling

Hi all,

My brother has a 96 2.2L OBW that is puking coolant out the OF tank. This problem only seems to occur while idling. The temp gauge does spike while idling, too. He says the problem goes away while driving.

Your thoughts appreciated....

--Damien

Hi all,

My brother has a 96 2.2L OBW that is puking coolant out the OF tank. This problem only seems to occur while idling. The temp gauge does spike while idling, too. He says the problem goes away while driving.[...]

Simple possibilities are that the radiator fan isn't operating, or the radiator airflow is partially obstructed. When driving, air moves through the grill and past the radiator, making fan operation or a partial obstruction less critical.

Any engine at any time can blow a HG, period (especially past 150,000 miles).

Does the car have heat, thats a huge question.

Someone needs to monitor the car with th cap off. If there is a lot of bubbles in the coolant after the car burps (thermostat opens) then you have a bad HG.

HAs he had any work done to the car recently?

nipper

You mean with the radiator cap off or the cap to the OF tank?

After driving the car a few miles and then stopping and idling I inspected the OF tank and noticed there was a LOT of foam in the OF tank and a constant steady bubbling which continued after the engine was shut off...