Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to keep my CV going for another few months

Well i found my knocking noise problem, and harsh take off, problem, its my front left CV the boot is is PARTIALLY open, and grease is all over everything, but its not ticking, its knocking? Possible? Can i just put some grease on it every so often and it will keep it going? My budget is kind of tight, so i need to strech out the CV replacement. Any ideas what i should use to lube it? Thanks.:)

Ahoy! any idea how long it's been like that? Some people have posted running like 50kmiles on the OEM joints in a case like this without failure, noise yes, but not failure.

I doubt putting any grease in there would help since it'll just spew back out. I'd use redline cv-2 but that's going to be expensive if consuming rapidly. If you're going to use anything it should at least be a CV grease (not just a wheel bearing grease). But it'll probaby just spew onto the exhaust.

If you eventually get the half shaft(s) replaced some number of people have noted vibration when in gear but stopped after having aftermarket rebuilt half shafts installed.

Ahoy! any idea how long it's been like that? Some people have posted running like 50kmiles on the OEM joints in a case like this without failure, noise yes, but not failure.

I doubt putting any grease in there would help since it'll just spew back out. I'd use redline cv-2 but that's going to be expensive if consuming rapidly. If you're going to use anything it should at least be a CV grease (not just a wheel bearing grease). But it'll probaby just spew onto the exhaust.

If you eventually get the half shaft(s) replaced some number of people have noted vibration when in gear but stopped after having aftermarket rebuilt half shafts installed.

hmm, im thinking about getting the aftermarket shafts, i can get them from my autoparts place for 50 bucks lifetime warrenty, and i guess ill get a haynes manual, think it will be a simple unisntall and installation? Is there something i need to worry about in the proccess of doing this job? I also have a impact wrench(my fun new tool :grin:) and a torque wrench, and enough tools to build a house and heat and cool it :)

Have you thought about pulling the shaft, installing a new boot along with the proper molydisulfide grease, molly grease for short?

It may just clear up the problem, but most likely the joint is damaged and won't last as long as it should. But if you leave it with a open boot it's not going to be happy for too much longer.

Not worth my time, if im in there, why not just replace it :lol: Because it seems more like if the CV has been contaminated its just garbage, and after driving through salt and crap. I think ill just get the CV frm the auto parts store, anyone try them are they OKish quality?

Alright. I just figured (seems I can change an axle in an hour on my Brat) that it very well could be worth it seem you say you can't afford another one anyhow.... The boots I buy for my axles would work out to about $8USD each. And a tub a molly only costs about $25.. Just remember, if it does blow while your on the road stop as soon as possible. Don't want your center VLSD to cook and roast your oil or what ever.

that yours is knocking, i would replace that very soon. that's not normal. it may be a previously replaced aftermarket axle.

stuffing grease in the joints will quiet them down. typically the CV's bust then loose grease over time, then start clicking while turning, and finally start clicking while going straight...but that usually takes many, many miles. when they start clicking while going straight, i consider that time to replace them but that takes a long time to get there usually. unless you're playing in dirt and sand. i've put 50,000 miles on broken boot, clicking CV's before. i've never had one fail. that was down south, no salt and rock on the winter roads down there. haven't put nearly that many miles on any bad axles up north here. got a broken boot now, no clicking but i'm not replacing until that axle needs to come off for something else...so it might on there a long time. i would only trust original Subaru axles to last this long. aftermarket axles mostly suck.

I have one aftermarket one on my car (front right). The one that was on before that was a Subaru OEM one and it blew after like 20k miles (the one that's on now is the third one and it's not OEM).

I did the math on this before, it's *a lot cheaper to buy reman. with lifetime warranty than it is to buy OEM every time.

I did the math on this before, it's *a lot cheaper to buy reman. with lifetime warranty than it is to buy OEM every time.
not for me, depends how much you value time and reliability. i, and others (a search will reveal), have had new aftermarkets fail. from here on out all of my soob axles are MWE or soob only. getting stranded and doing the same job twice is not my gig.

If you can't afford to have it changed right now, it may last a bit longer. If you can swing a can/tube of grease and a can of carb cleaner.

Clean it up as much as you can, get some grease in there, then take some nylon tie straps, cover the boot with a plastic garbage bag and zip tie it on at both ends and one in the middle. Make sure you wrap it up in the right direction so the end doesn't get caught in the draft.

I did this on a Geo and it lasted 3 months.

not for me, depends how much you value time and reliability. i, and others (a search will reveal), have had new aftermarkets fail. from here on out all of my soob axles are MWE or soob only. getting stranded and doing the same job twice is not my gig.

Wait! in your post just before this you claimed to never have had a cv joint fail. you say you drove 50'000 miles on torn boots. How is it you say an aftermarket will strand you?

I ussually clean and replace the boots myself until the joint gets really bad.(ussually after the second new boot, or if it's clickin with grease in it) At that point I buy a reman or new aftermarket with a lifetime warranty from a national chain auto parts store. I've had pretty good luck with any remans I've bought. no problems. If you buy another soob, and it needs an axle, take your reciept in and get a new one! free axles for life:clap:lol (never actually done this but it's a nice idea)

Wait! in your post just before this you claimed to never have had a cv joint fail. you say you drove 50'000 miles on torn boots. How is it you say an aftermarket will strand you?
incorrect, that's taken out of context. i've never had any of those "Subaru" axles fail. i've never had a Subaru axle fail even with 100's of thousands of miles and even with broken boots and clicking joints. not to mention they're 20 years old, they are quite proven in the reliability department. the only failures i've seen were brand new aftermarkets, not Subaru. and i've seen them fail in a matter of days out of the box...others have as well.

yes, there are plenty of instances of aftermarket axles working just fine, that's not my point at all. if you like them and don't mind them, then tear it up, i'm not here to argue that every single one breaks, that's rediculous. what i am saying is that there is a pattern of low quality from store bought axles. i don't only work on my car, so i've been through dozens of CV axles and the experience of others on here also shows the pattern that after markets are lower quality. like i also said...don't believe me, use the search function and see the oppinions of other people that work on lots of soobs and have years of experience. i don't consider aftermarkets a terrible option, they can work. but for me i like reliability and the lower failure rate of Subaru and MWE axles is worth it.

all that to say...anyone looking to buy an axle can look at their own situation and decide what's best for them, there's multiple options for multiple situations.