Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pressure washing and CEL codes

Hello,

I have two questions, which I would appreciate your advices on.

I have a some oil and dirt all over the engine...it is an old car. So, I want to pressure wash the engine area. What areas can I pressure wash and what should I not hit? Is it all fair game top, side, and bottom?

The second item, I ha da problem the other day. This is actually the second time this happened. I tried to start the engine, and it not start. sounded normal and fine, it just did not fire up. So I left it alone for 5 minutes, and it started up fine, but it threw a CEL. The CEL stayed lit for a day or so, an then disappeared. SO, just because the CEL is gone, is there still a code to be read, or is that gone too?

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

I have two questions, which I would appreciate your advices on.

I have a some oil and dirt all over the engine...it is an old car. So, I want to pressure wash the engine area. What areas can I pressure wash and what should I not hit? Is it all fair game top, side, and bottom?

The second item, I ha da problem the other day. This is actually the second time this happened. I tried to start the engine, and it not start. sounded normal and fine, it just did not fire up. So I left it alone for 5 minutes, and it started up fine, but it threw a CEL. The CEL stayed lit for a day or so, an then disappeared. SO, just because the CEL is gone, is there still a code to be read, or is that gone too?

Thank you in advance.

Here is what works for me:

I buy these gladd covers at the grocery store and place them over the alternator, ABS unit, and the electrical fuse box useing rubber bands to hold them in place. Next I spray down pretty much everything (save for the rubber hoses) with the Green soap (wallmart auto section), and then finish with the high pressure spray at the car wash. I take a flat box to protect the hood insulation, it doesn't fair well to getting wet. It is also helpful to take the car up to freeway speed to blow out any standing water.

I am sure you already know to do this with the engine warm but not hot.

When Blu got a new engine, it was a bit of a rush to get it out. The engine was power washed. For the first 20 miles i was throwing missfire codes untill the wires dried out, then all was good.

Now as far as the no start, you need to pull codes. We can make a educated guess about a cam position sensor (most likely) or coolant sensor, but next time it happens you need to go to an autoparts store and let them read the code.

nipper

The electrical connectors on the engine and the sensors on the engine are water resistant, BUT you will force water into them if you pressure wash it. You may not notice at first, but then the corrosion will set in, and it will cause problems later.

Spray it down with some heavy grease-fighting cleaner, then hose it off with a garden-style hose. Way safer than pressure washing.

Make sure that you cover the Powersteering reservoir on top of the engine. This is a venting cap, sure you dont want water in the P/S oil. I am not sure but brake oil canister might also have a venting cap, and that stuff is extremely hygroscopic.

To get rid of the grease, I use engine cleaner and a brush (dishwashing brush) to rub it in a bit on the real oil spots. Then i spray it off using a water spray, no pressure washing. Just few PSI from the jetpistol. And usually i keep the egine running.

Thank you all for the advice. I think I will use the pressure washer, but I will turn the pressure way way down.

On the topic of the CEL codes, once the CEL is not longer lit, the codes are gone? And trying to read the codes will show nothing? Is that correct?

THank you all again.