Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I remove my inside electronic mirror?

I have a 2001 Subaru Forester S with an electronic compass mirror and anti-glare feature. The top 1cm of the mirror appears to be losing the anti-glare fluid as if it has come unsealed at the top of the mirror and the fluid is settling producing a clear mirror at the top and a tinted remaining mirror. What is the trick to removal. I figure I need to replace it.

Thanks but that does not match my mirror as it is not attached to the headliner. It appears as in this picture http://scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6734 but it has no torx screw in the hole as this http://scoobymods.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5011&d=1155177800. Instead there is what appears to be a piece of aluminum there instead. I think this is the base that fits over the mounting plate. I started to take a picture, but my battery is discharged. I will charge it and try again later. Unless the above is information enough.

every auto dim I have ever removed was done by grabbing the base of it and turing it 90* (I think left) and it will slide right out of the windshield mount.

****remember if you change it to a standard mirror the spring that is in the windshield mount is slightly different******* If you don't quite understand what I am saying you will when you have the mirror out of the mount. trust me.

This is not a cover. I figured the plastic cover must need to pry apart. So pry I did and break I did. I can fix it with superglue. I pried from the drivers side. This is the compass cover and it should have been pried from the side to the front of the car or nearest the windshield. Either way I have it off now. Maybe I'll get a new one with the new mirror. The cover has 3 retention snaps. One on each corner toward the interior and a larger one in the center nearest the windshield. One should pry on the largest one to prevent breakage.

every auto dim I have ever removed was done by grabbing the base of it and turing it 90* (I think left) and it will slide right out of the windshield mount.

****remember if you change it to a standard mirror the spring that is in the windshield mount is slightly different******* If you don't quite understand what I am saying you will when you have the mirror out of the mount. trust me.

Wow! That was easy! I knew there had to be a trick to it.

:banana: Now to find a new one.