Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help: Outback or Forester?

:confused: Hi guys,

In my country the 1998 Outback and Forester cost the same (both the Forester and Outback models were launched into the local market that year...). If I were to buy either one of them, which one should I choose? what are the pros and cons?. Two considerations: I am 6' 2" and like off-road capability. The Subarus I know about are the ones at the bottom... Thanks!:rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1981 1.8L GL Wagon 4WD M/T (Dad had it for 10 years, sold in 1998)

1992 2.2L GX Legacy Sedan AWD M/T My own)

1993 2.0L GL Legacy Wagon AWD M/T (Dad's)

It seems that foresters have weak rear wheel bearings and spedo head issues. No matter what you choose, take the car and drive it in a paved lot in tight circles. The car should be able to idle smoothly (or with just a little gas). If it can't do that walk away. Also make sure the tires all match and are properly inflated. If its an automatic make sure there is no fuse in the FWD holder under the hood (by the wiper motor).nipper

Yeah, I've heard a lot about head ´n gasket problems in the Outback, but I'm sure there's gotta be a way around that... In any case, I'd like to got for the car thast offers the best ride & performance of the two, plus the space...

I had a '98 Forester, now have an '00 Forester. I'm 5' 11" tall and there is tremendous headroom left. I did not have HG leaks in either car, but also don't put much mileage on. Only 36,000 on the '00.

Have to agree, rear seat legroom is lacking in the Forester, but you're not sittin' back there, :lol:

You mention off-roading, and I think the '98 OB had more road clearance than the Forester but not sure. I did have front CV boots replaced last year, was surprised at that with such low mileage. I love my Forester, it is extremely comfortable, and I have a very bad back which precludes driving many cars, but no problem driving this car. Not having driven an OB, can't make a true comparison, just my thoughts on the Forester. Good luck!

We looked at both before we bought our '02 OBW. Since my wife was going to be the main driver, her opinion counted more than mine :). We both thought the Outback was more car-like, and would better suit her day-to-day drive needs. We still had our '94 Caravan at the time, so continued to use that to haul more people and junk, when needed. I think either would suit your needs. More a matter of personal preference than anything else.