Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 >> conversion >>EJ22T

Jutboy

Hey there everyone,

I've been thinking about putting a EJ22T into my 95 Impreza L for a while now.

I've been talking to this guy who says he'll sell me EJ22T crank, rods and pistons for $150 shipped.

I understand my deck will be open but is that a big deal?

Please tell me your opinions on my decision, I'd appreciate any help. Feel free to tell me he's ripping me off or if you have anything to sell.

I assume I'm also going to need the turbo, turbo cooling, exhaust manifold and up pipe and down pipe.....is that right?

THANKS SO MUCH - Jutboy

Your efforts would be better off getting a complete ej22t.I personally wouldn't put all of those internals into a n/a block.I have a ej22t that I have been thinking about putting into a 1st gen impreza like that.Would be a fun project.Over all if I were you I would just hold out for an ej22t engine.

ej22t block would be worth waiting for, so long that you are planning on running some crazy boost and aiming for high power. there is a guy on http://www.nasioc.com making 291 whp on an open deck block with ej22t internals. open deck blocks hold up to pretty good power. its really your choice as to what you want to do. both will produce good power.

3.90, you'll need the rear diff as well. And it will bolt up perfect to everything under your car. But it will have a hydrolic clutch system, and yours will have cable system. Assuming your car is a 5 speed already.

If not you'll need the pedal assembly, master and slave cyls from a t leg, trans crossmember, and driveshaft from an impreza. If you are an auto you won't need the rear diff as the autos are 3.90 ratio.

Also, if you plan on using wrx/t-leg header, up/down pipes you will need either a t-leg or wrx engine crossmember because they have extra space to allow these parts to clear

the crank and rods are the same for ej22e and ej22ts. so no...not a good deal, you've already got most of those parts. if you've got the engine apart, get eagle rods.

I thought a tleg tranny was still cable clutch?

you can pretty easily convert a 5-speed one way or the other though.

many autos are 4.111 (my buddies '96 4EAT imp is)

AND, IIRC, the only difference between the trannies is the taller axle ratio.

the open deck block is fine if you're shooting for less than about 300 awhp. the main disadvantages are the obvious, high boost, blow out the cylinder wall, but more importantly, a combination of boost, high rpm, and imperfect balancing, the cylinder can actually vibrate back and forth inside the block, and contribute to premature head gasket failure.

that said, I'm only shooting for about 150 awhp on my initial build, so I'll be using a completely stock EJ22e block, a piggyback ecu, and about 7 psi of intercooled boost (and a few other supporting mods...but you get the idea).

long term, 22t pistons (dime a dozen....tons of guys using a 22t block and aftermarket pistons for huge build-ups), eagle rods, wrx heads/intake, 10-12psi, and same ecu and wiring harness.

ahhh....so your the one that I heard about that was doing this project..hehe...lucky me.

do you have an instant messanger account so we can talk more?

I have an auto tranny.....he said he'd get me one of the legacy turbo ones for $350...to make this clear, it should just pop in then.

here are the other prices..

All the internals, $150

turbo, $75

exhaust manifold, $50

up pipe, $25

crossmember, $125

I have a set of turbo heads for $75

How are these prices, also should I just get the pistons then? Forget the crank and rods? Thats all I need right?

Lastly, I don't understand what I'll need in regards to the computer and I was under the assumption I didn't have to have an intercooled system.

well, I'm not the one who did this project, that would be reddevil on nasioc. but I'm using what he found out in his many builds to plan out my own. I intend to replicate his setup almost exactly.....

my instant messenger handles are in my profile here....you're more than welcome to catch me online sometime and we'll talk.

and yea, as long as your motor is good, no need to buy crank and rods. just re-use yours.

that's a decent price on a tranny....no steal, but not a ripoff either. and personally, I'd rather have the taller axle ratio, of course, I do a lot of freeway driving....

get the crossmember.

the heads aren't anything special...slight improvement over what you've got....but not by much.

Nah all the t-legs were hydro,

just crawl under your car and look at the rear diff tag and decide which route you need to go.

If you are already a 5 spd car then I wouldn't really worry about the transmission because the cable tranny can hold a good amount of power

Comparing the ej20 open deck to the 2.2 open deck is far from apples to apples. The reinforcement between the liners in the center is far thicker and stronger on the ej20 than the 2.2 open deck...for that reason its alot closer to being closed deck than the 2.2NA is.

closed deck is a non issue. look what people are doing with wrx blocks and those are open deck. I dont think the ej22e block gets enough credit.

um....read the 2 posts above your own.

here are some pics that someone posted on MNSubaru a while ago...

EJ20G (ver 1-2: closed)

EJ20-34511.JPG

EJ20k (ver 3-4: open)

EGbroke41.jpg

ej205/207 (ver 6, 7)

dead link...anyone have a pic?

EJ20 (USDM WRX)

also dead...

EJ257 (USDM STi), GREAT example of semi-closed deck. the EJ20/205/207 ones are much like this

2-5sms.jpg

EJ25 (RS)

EJ25%20Short%20Block.JPG

EJ22t (closed)

monsml.jpg

some other interesting things I found while digging up those pics:

all stock subaru pistons are made of the same material, and same process (some argument as to whether they are hypereutectic, or just thermalflow), just different compression ratio. the phase I EJ22E is 9:1, whereas the EJ22t is 8:1. if you're shooting for less than 10 psi of boost, the higher compression will be fine (and will yield faster spool). if you're running about 10, you can drop the CR ever so slightly by using the 22t Head gaskets (about 8.8:1), which are an entire mm thicker (or a bit more by using 22t pistons and 22e gaskets, about 8.2:1).

of course, if you're only running 10 psi or so through it....there's no reason to go closed deck. only really need that if you're going up into the 25 psi range.

if you want to put a little more money into it, wiseco makes an 8.5:1 CR piston for the 22t, but that requires an overbore.

Thanks for the pics Numbchux....that clears things up for me. I've got you on my AIM so I'll message next time I see you _im not on much.

So I think I might really do this....

I'm looking at just getting the pistons ~$50,the exaust manifold~50, the up-pipe~25, the crossmember~125, the turbo~75

The total there is about $325......that should be easily enough....besides some tubing thats all I need, right?

So, I'm still unsure if I need the Turbo version of my tranny....and how this will fit in my car.....I've done engine work but not any tranny work and didn't want to make this a huge project.

THANKS ALL!!!!

So, I'm still unsure if I need the Turbo version of my tranny....and how this will fit in my car.....I've done engine work but not any tranny work and didn't want to make this a huge project.

THANKS ALL!!!!

It sill bolt straight in place of yours, but I wouldn't bother with that right now. The stock 5MT can handle a good bit of power if you don't mistreat them.

I've been doing a lot of research on the transmissions from wrx's, it seems like a lot of people break them. Got on a few translated japanese sites and nowhere near as many problems from them. So that leaves two things either they got superior equipment or america's wrx owners flog the crap out of them more often than they do.

It sill bolt straight in place of yours, but I wouldn't bother with that right now. The stock 5MT can handle a good bit of power if you don't mistreat them.

I've been doing a lot of research on the transmissions from wrx's, it seems like a lot of people break them. Got on a few translated japanese sites and nowhere near as many problems from them. So that leaves two things either they got superior equipment or america's wrx owners flog the crap out of them more often than they do.

Jutboy's got an auto.

jdm wrx tranny gears are the same to US, they got some improved stuff with the STi and type R/RA stuff....but that's a minimal improvement. but drag racing (specifically hard launching from a stop) isn't nearly as common over there.

JutBoy. be careful not to underestimate your cost. you will still need oil and coolant lines for the turbo, you should get an intercooler (cooler intake temps help the engine run smoother...), engine management etc.

catch me on AIM and we can talk about it...