Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will This FIT??

Gravityman

I want to buy a R160 LSD for my XT6 diff. The one I am looking at buying looks a little different then other LSDs I have seen in an EA ER diff. Please let me know if it is a drop in swap or if it will even fit. It will be going into my 3.90. Please let me know ASAP

This is the one i am looking at buying.

pic1.jpg

This Is what our the lsds look like.

PICT2154.jpg

I went to the junk yard today to look around at our subaru's and nissans/datsuns. I went using my mental picture for the nissans, not really knowing what I was looking for. I know the subarus show LSD on the rear tag listing the gear ratio but the nissans have no gear ratio designation. After a little searching when i got home I have found that the 300zx turbo diffs are 3.7 LSD (R200). I think i am going to go back and pull it along with the axles and hubs to make sure. And then find a 280 zx 3.9 gear ratio (R200) and then swap the Gear set. Then the fun part of trying to get all this crap setup on the rear of the brat!

Unless someone else has a better idea!:confused:

So you want a LSD, is that all you want? Or do you want a bigger rear diff as well?

I think converting to R200 is going to be hard. I get the feeling it won't fit under the fuel tank unless you get a 4" or bigger lift. Also you have to get a longnose R200, which is going to be hard I think. Then you have axle and driveshaft fitment.. Nissans use completely different rear shaft design. Much much easier to stay with R160, but if it's that much cheaper, then I guess it's worth it.

I reckon a longnose R180 with a small amount of lift will fit no worries, but again, shaft issues.

Well I guess I am just throwing the R200 idea out there. I would imagine that it would be overkill even if i did put down 300hp in the brat(FYI, I am dropping my 3.9 from my xt6 into the back of my brat). If I could find a R180 LSD, would I be able to replace just the R180 with the stock diff(keeping my original ring gear and housing). Are the R180 and R160 swappable without modification? I guess that would be my next question.

Are the R180 and R160 swappable without modification? I guess that would be my next question.
They look like it, IF you get the longnose R180.

Although from what I gather, the driveshafts will not go on, but the propshaft should.

So, bolt in? No, although all the bolts should line up, so yes. :-\

I am not trying to swap the R180 with the diff and its housing but I want to change out just the internal parts of the diff minus the ring gear, just this part;

PICT2154.jpg

I am looking at another LSD that someone is selling. They said that it was from an impreza but doesnt have a gear ratio sticker on the back. He sait that both axles spin the same direction. The other thing was he said that the number 208B was printed on the casing if that means any thing. I am almost positive that this is not a subaru diff but a nissan or datsun seeing how the half shafts mount with bolts instead of splines.

This is the one i am looking at buying.

e863_1.JPG

I am not trying to swap the R180 with the diff and its housing but I want to change out just the internal parts of the diff minus the ring gear,
... I'm 99% sure you cannot fit the R180 center into the R160 casing. is that what you are talking about? I'm all confused now.