Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have been looking for a subaru and i found a 93 legacy wagon with 180,000 miles on it, looks like it was taken great care of and the whole deal. My question is that is it COMMON for a subaru with this many miles to run very much farther, i have read all the 350,000 miles stories and all that great stuff but i would like to know how common it is to hit around 250,000. any input would be appreciated alot. thank, matt

I would say it all depends on how it was previously taken care of.

Check tranny issues especially. (power light, torque bind, fwd fuse in holder on pass firewall) The motor would be a lesser worry, as they are generally bulletproof unless abused severly.

If you can find a paper trail of previous service records, coupled with a good present owner, I would say youre well on your way to 300,000 plus!:banana:

I own two Legacy T-wagons and a SS (turbo sedan - aka Sports Sedan)

One has around 250 kmi no problems

(I trust it so much it's on loan to my sister at this time)

the other T wagon has around 200kmi.. same

both have had their trannies replaced as the only major issue.

I also own a Legacy GT wagon with close to 225 kmi.

(Was driven by a postwoman for a long time - talk about

taken a beatin'!!)

BTW I live just outside of P-burgh in Latrobe.

PM me for more details if you like.

he replaced the auto tranny with a 5 speed and a new clutch, which i dont have a problem with. Since he went ahead and did that should he have removed that fuse or not? what are your feeling on this?

wow.....:slobber:

If you dont want it, Ill buy it!:lol:

backwoodsboy if he refuses my final offer on it i will let you know if you are serioulsy interested, im just nervous after reading about 1000000 blown head gaskets on this page thats all.
But those are on the EJ25...never on the EJ22 or EJ22T.

A lot of the headgasket problems are with the older 2.5 liter motors.

The 2.2 liter motors are much more trustworthy....although ANY motor could have H/G probs at 200,000 miles, and I wouldnt fault it, as there are LOTS of engines out there that wont even MAKE it to 250K.:eek:

backwoodsboy if he refuses my final offer on it i will let you know if you are serioulsy interested, im just nervous after reading about 1000000 blown head gaskets on this page thats all.

The turbo motor in these cars is far superior to ANY motor we've gotten here in the states. Closed deck design, I've ready many sources saying it is the same block used for the 98 22b STi in japan. The only thing I have seen bloing these car's hg's is too much boost

Buy it. Buy it now. If I had the cash in hand, I would fly out there to do just that. 180K is just getting broken in for a Subaru, particularly with the EJ-22 engine.

Oh, and both of the Legacy wagons I list are well over 200K miles. . .

i have him down to 1800 dollars, im trying to work on him a little more but we will haev to see, im gonna try to see the car today...found out it has a couple little rust areas but hes making it out to be not too bad of a fix, we shall see.

i have him down to 1800 dollars, im trying to work on him a little more but we will haev to see, im gonna try to see the car today...found out it has a couple little rust areas but hes making it out to be not too bad of a fix, we shall see.

The motor and driveline is worth that and then some man.

I had a buddy describe the 91 SS I bought over the phone. He must have a higher standard than I, because he said it was really rough. Anyway, we went bought it for $200 brought it home. Didn't see it in daylihgt for 3 days because of a f'd up work week.

If you've got the money to spend on it and it runs good you can't go wrong.

I have been looking for a subaru and i found a 93 legacy wagon with 180,000 miles on it, looks like it was taken great care of and the whole deal. My question is that is it COMMON for a subaru with this many miles to run very much farther, i have read all the 350,000 miles stories and all that great stuff but i would like to know how common it is to hit around 250,000. any input would be appreciated alot. thank, matt

MY H2(93LEG) is about 250miles from 250K...runs like a rabbit

spark

Back in 2002, my husband and I bought a 1990 Legacy wagon with 172K miles on it, and I finally sold it (it was a sad goodbye) for $800 last June with almost 245K miles on it. My husband was in Afghanistan, and I just didn't need the car that badly anymore. It's still running for the guy who owns it now, and I'm pretty sure he's happy with his purchase, especially after this winter.

I'm pretty sure it was sold in better condition than we bought it, though, aside from mileage. The second owner did a lot of his own installation, and he was far from expert about it. My brother-in-law, who was a master certified auto technician, did a lot of rewiring and replacing, and I know the engine was sound when I sold it. I got to do the last tune up (the 240K service) in my brother-in-law's garage, and with his supervision, I replaced a cracked radiator.

Suffice it to say, the early 90s Subaru wagons are totally worth it. :)