Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it a Harley or just my Subaru idling?

'99 Outback 2.5L 130k idles at about 250rpm

BACKGROUND: It has ran rough since I bought it at 70k. The previous owner had tried to get it fixed a number of times, and I had it checked out before I bought it. They all concluded that "that is just how it is." I was under the impression that the Boxer engine allowed it to run even smoother that a V engine.

SYMPTOMS: Rough running is most apparent when the tranny is in D at a stoplight, although I am not sure if it is just because my foot is on the brake so I can feel it more. It is pretty rough, and worsening, to the point where I often put it in neutral when waiting at a light. It runs mediocre at above idle rpms. No check engine light.

QUESTION: What can I check first, before a mechanic tells me I need expensive internal engine repair?

MAINT. REC'D.-

Timing belt has 60k on it

New wires, plugs have 10-15k

PCV, fuel filt., air filt. have 10k

Thanks,

Andrew

The mechanic did my wires, as they were under warranty. I'll check them, but it ran rough well before that too. 10k on tranny fluid and about 200mi on fresh oil.

Do I really have to jack the engine up to check the motor mounts, or is there a simpler way?

Thanks

that idle speed is too low should be in the area of 6-700 rpm in gear if auto

Isn't the idle speed controlled only by ECU? I just realized that it's an outback but my 90 legacy cannot be adjusted. I read in the haynes book that the ECU controlls timing and idle speed and neither can be manually adjusted. I would assume it's the same with a newer outback.

Check compression? Injectors? No ECU codes?

Thanks. I am going to work on getting the idle up to spec... according to my Haynes (which is actually for a '98) it CAN be adjusted on cars following a VECI instructions sticker under the hood, but requires a special handheld tach that pulls an accurate RPM from a harness under the hood.

I will also look into getting a vacuum gauge.

Has anyone set their idle using this method? Are these readers expensive?

Dmanaenk- On my '99 the tach is graduated in 200 RPM increments, so assuming it is accurate, it reads slightly above the first tick which is about 250--- regardless, it is just really low.

Dmanaenk- On my '99 the tach is graduated in 200 RPM increments, so assuming it is accurate, it reads slightly above the first tick which is about 250--- regardless, it is just really low.

Hm, all '99 clusters I have seen look exactly like this one:get_image.aspx?domain=lkqonline.com&image_guid=150a122f-a5a0-4920-af9b-871bb1e1bbcf&size=2

I don't see any 250 tick.

Yeah, thats the one. There isn't a tick for 250, but a tick for 200: the first one. They go 200, 400, 600, 800, and then the big 1000 rpm mark. Mine is just above the 200 one....

I would estimate it fluctuates between 250 and 300 rpms, according to my tach which may not be accurate. But the number isn't important... it shakes the whole car because it is too low.

I fear timing belt problems... if that thing comes off, I am getting the whole shebang (pump, seals..etc.) because it is due within 30k. It very well may be, however, as I doubt the mechanics would go to such lengths to diagnose a low/rough idle.

If simpler fixes dont cut it, that is probably where I'll look.

There are several threads on this problem. Sorry to say, there is no sure thing solution.

I think your idle is OK at 600-700 rpm. I doubt it would run at 300.

I doubt it is the tranny fluid since yours was done recently.

A skipped crank tooth would idle poorly when in neutral as well as in gear. You would be down on power and fuel consumption would be relatively poor.

This sure is an annoying problem! Mine is more severe when the car is cold, but it never goes away completely.

I am going to swap engine mounts to eliminate this possibility, but I am not hopeful.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the dealer swap tranny filters and flush the coolant and replace with OEM stuff.

No difference in the vibration in gear.

I spoke to the service manager. He suggested it could be the engine mounts.

He said to try loosening the mounts and let the engine settle in, then retighted. There may be some tension causing the vibration. If not that then swap the mounts.