Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you reset a CEL (Check Engine Light)

Hey all, I just pulled a misfire code from my engine, and i'm pretty sure the matter is resolved, as my 2000 OBW is running quite smoothly. Does anyone know how to reset the CEL? I tried in the past to pull the battery negative, but to no avail. My other option is to see if AutoZone can somehow reset it for me. Any ideas? :burnout:

On that year pulling the battery cable should be sufficient. I'm not sure why it didn't work for you in the past. Of course if the problem isn't actually fixed the light may come back on. Otherwise any normal ODBII code reader should be able to clear it. Autozone should be able to reset it but some of these places don't like to clear codes.

Pull both cables + & - I had to do this on my 97 some times to clear the codes. Sometimes pulling the - will work some time I had to pull both. Wait about 30 min.

Hey all, I just pulled a misfire code from my engine, and i'm pretty sure the matter is resolved, as my 2000 OBW is running quite smoothly. Does anyone know how to reset the CEL? I tried in the past to pull the battery negative, but to no avail. My other option is to see if AutoZone can somehow reset it for me. Any ideas? :burnout:

It took leaving the negative cable off overnight for the CEL to clear on my 2000 Forester. It was a move of desperation prior to driving 35 miles to the nearest Advanced Auto/Autozone.

Of course you will have to have the problem corrected before it will clear and I knew that I had forgotten to replace a plug on the temperature sensor after replacing the head gaskets.

You just need to pull the neg. If you don't leave it off long enough, however, it won't reset. Capacitors? Pull the neg cable, hit the brake pedal a few times (to drain any power lingering), and I wait 45 minutes. Overnight will definitely do it. If you still have a CEL right when you fire it up, check the code, 'cause you've probably got something like disconnected, or a bad sensor -- after a reset, engine-management stuff generally takes a couple of drive cycles (or at the very least, until the engien warms up) before it throws a code. And everal misfires are ignored, I believe, before it throws that code.

Basically it has already been said. disconnect the neg batery cable and hold the brakes for a min or so. after that you should be good to go. i have had to do this numerous times i dont think the 45 min wait is neccessary.

i have found that the $100 OBD-II code reader is a good investement. i use mine several times a month.