Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 92 Legacy needs the rear exhuast pipe (one with cat attached) replaced because the pipe has completely detached from the cat, which is loud.

Do you all think $258 is a decent price for a new one? (that's just for the part, not the install) and how much should the install cost?

Thanks!

I do not know about the price you got, but if you have a local muffer shop close that has been in bussiness for a few years I would check with them. I have found that they are usually cheaper then the big chain places and the small shops that do lots of difference things.

My 92 Legacy needs the rear exhuast pipe (one with cat attached) replaced because the pipe has completely detached from the cat, which is loud.

Do you all think $258 is a decent price for a new one? (that's just for the part, not the install) and how much should the install cost?

Thanks!

I just had the same issue with my '95 Legacy. Is there anything wrong with your cat? If not, there's no reason to replace it; same with the rest of the pipe. If not, it can probably be fixed VERY cheaply.

I went to a local, reputable muffler shop, and my total cost was $53: They just fabricated and welded in a new "flex pipe." It's about 3 inches long, right where the cat connects to the rest of the exhaust.

Brian

Thanks!

Is there a cat and not a muffler on the rear pipe? I thought all subaru cats were up by the engine. Cats are usually as close to the engine as possible, sine the hot exhaust helps them warm up.

HAve you tried looking at the walker pipes site or even any of the subaru parts sites? Sometimes they are very competative.

nipper

From my understanding, there's a pipe with a cat coming out of the manifold; then the rear pipe, which some call the mid-pipe, with another cat; then the muffler, which has another section of pipe attached to it.

The one I need is the rear/mid-pipe.

I checked all the internet prices--143 at exhuast warehouse was best deal.

I am concerned I won't be able to do it myself though and that a shop would be reluctant to install it for me.

From my understanding, there's a pipe with a cat coming out of the manifold; then the rear pipe, which some call the mid-pipe, with another cat; then the muffler, which has another section of pipe attached to it.

I am concerned I won't be able to do it myself though and that a shop would be reluctant to install it for me.

fyi

i saw a subaru cat for sale on ebay "for scrap". i don't know if this was a way around selling used cats or if there was actually a scrap value for old / used cats.

Modern cars dont use slide in pipes anymore. The use flanges and good old fashioned nuts and bolts.

You can do this on your own in the driveway, just make sure you have new exhaust donuts (if needed .. called hangers) and new hardware.

Even your mechanic can fix it in les then an hour.

nipper

• 4 weeks later...

I did this over the weekend.

Ended up getting the part from exhaustwarehouse.com. It came quickly and with a 5 year warranty.

The hardest part was getting it all off. I shouldn't have bothered trying to save the bolts, as once I started cutting with a dremel, it all came off rather quickly.

There's some soft aluminum that goes in between the front and mid pipe that was sort of quirky to work with, but it appears to be flush and there are no leaks that I can see.

All in all it took me about 4 hours and $170.:clap: