Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 GL Tranny probs

89 GL with the 3AT pushbutton 4WD seems to be having some issues. Car takes a few seconds to engage in any gear, once it engages car still does not want to move once the accelerator pedal is pushed. The car will move but not like it should. I guess with having 190k I cant expect much more from this tranny. I just dont want to give it up because it still runs great and for a Northeast GL the body has been holding up well. Anyone know of a fix?

1) get the fluid changed

via a flush

sounds like the hyd. pump is not making the trip.

2) maybe add some Lucas Tranny honey

in hopes of swelling the seals.

3) clean the govenor

(see my art. in the USRM)

it could be stuck in one of

the higher gears.

Does the fluid smell like gear oil?

These transaxles, at this age, have a habit of

loosing the seal between the diff and the tranny.

fluids mixing => bad Ju Ju

the 3AT is not a very good tranny. Mine had only 62,000 miles on it when i pulled it in favor of a 2wd 5 speed. The reason was that when cold it wouldnt want to upshift sometimes. When warm it was normal but it was just too annoying to drive. Try what Skip says and if that doesnt work go for a 5 speed D/R or hell even a good 4 speed D/R.

the 3AT is not a very good tranny. Mine had only 62,000 miles on it when i pulled it in favor of a 2wd 5 speed. The reason was that when cold it wouldnt want to upshift sometimes. When warm it was normal but it was just too annoying to drive. Try what Skip says and if that doesnt work go for a 5 speed D/R or hell even a good 4 speed D/R.

whoa!! hold on, anyone realize he'll need to swap rearend as well and driveshaft? Auto=3.7 MT=3.9 with the exception of the 3.7 Turbo five speed(25 spline axles). So whatever you get, make sure you get a matching diff if you need it.

Heck, even a single range trans would be fine. However if you like the auto, replacement ones are cheap. It is a simple trans easy to rebuild as well. You can''t beat the instant 4wd engagement of the hydro clutch either.